Question Smiling and mask suction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
E

Engelsted

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m new to diving! I bought a Paragon mask but it loses suction when I smile. Others in the store did too. I’m going to try an Apeks in the pool today. I read that Hollis M1 worked for some people with mustache… any thoughts?

Mine leaks a little if I smile alot. Big laughs will do it too. I use an Atomic frameless and for many years. The cut/material under the nose is smaller. I have a mustache also. I have not tried they other brands you mentioned.

I don't know of any mask that will not leak a little if you smile big. It's basic geometry, physics, and property of materials. You have two parallel surfaces—face and mask skirt. You introduce a more or less perpendicular line between them when you smile. It's gonna leak. Some less than others.
The true solution is to smile internally!

The mask doesn't need to seal THAT well.

It's nice to have a good fit, but a bit irrational to expect it to hold every contortion of your face.

If you smile too much underwater, just exhale out your nose a couple times to purge the mask.

I wear my mask quite loose.

But it's preferred that masks fit THAT well, especially for rebreather divers and every other diver that isn't

Mine leaks a little if I smile alot. Big laughs will do it too. I use an Atomic frameless and for many years. The cut/material under the nose is smaller. I have a mustache also. I have not tried they other brands you mentioned.

If your mustache is at the root of the problem you may have to use a little dab of vaseline or similar. A little dab will do ya.

Masks leak, every mask I have ever had would and does leak a little. I can appreciate though having a constant and irrating leak from your mustache. And you do not want to shave it off :eek:.

If your mustache is at the root of the problem you may have to use a little dab of vaseline or similar. A little dab will do ya.

Masks leak, every mask I have ever had would and does leak a little. I can appreciate though having a constant and irrating leak from your mustache. And you do not want to shave it off :eek:.
I shave about an 1/8th of an inch under my nose and have used mask seal or even chapstick. It does not constantly leak. It can if I smile or laugh. The mask fits well especially since the mask is high cut under the nose. It's why I recommended it.
I also, depending on the time of year (hot summer), will carry a little bit of water in the mask to clear any fog. And I use antifog but that is no guaranty. So I don't really mind a bit of water in my mask. If necessary, I can clear it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom