SMB Usage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveLvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
what is the current school of thought on the SMB? When to deploy? Topside reaction when a SMB is seen? How many feet of line on the spool? Finger spool or ratchet reel? How many SMPs to carry? Thanks for all input?

You only need one. Use varies.....i launch when I'm ready to surface usually 1/2 through my safety stop. Currents will effect timing as well. Type is personal preference.

I use a finger spool with about 150' of line. I tend to deploy fairly deep, like 70-80', but there's generally no real reason why that's necessary; it's just my habit. It's not like I have anything else to do during a deco stop. I think one is sufficient to carry, unless you're guiding a group and anticipating splitting the group for the ascent.

Usage depends on what you're doing and have discussed ahead of dive. Are we talking about a drift dive and the deployment is planned? You gotta discuss with the boat ahead of time. Otherwise you may get a cylinder dropped on your head if you shoot an unexpected bag.

Usually, though, one means "I'm here." Two on one line means trouble. Some people use yellow ones for that.

I have it on a spool with 250' of dyneema line. You can fit a lot of that stuff on a spool and my personal preference is a spool over a reel for SMBs.

I am probably one of the only people who really dislike using spools, so I use reels for everything. This is just personal preference as to what works best for you.

Talk to the boat captain as to when to deploy. Many times they prefer it right when you leave the wreck so they can follow you.

I always carry 2, but that is a carry over from tech diving and having redundancy.

If each member of your group has one you will also need to discuss if you each deploy or only 1 per group.

General rule of thumb I was taught for line length was max depth +50%. So you can deploy from max depth when a current is running.

Red to led know your position, it is a must in boat dive, specially with currents, boat traffic and low visibility where you can get separated.

Yellow smb to let know you have a problem, or one Red one where you can attach a slate ( previous communication with the boat grew to pay attention to the slate )

SMB shall have a reflector tape on the top better if it have a radar deflector tape as well

1.5m minimum length ( 5 feet )

Don't waste your money in open SMB, buy closed ones and train properly as they can be tricky.

45m line is a good length 150ft as mention before, majority of OC deep deco dives start around that depth or shallower so you have enough line

A good finger reel is safer than the others as it is less likely to make a mistake with them, I have APEKS blue reel with 45m line, you can't go wrong with this reel, you can line-in even with 7mm gloves on, you don't need to move your fingers away, very good grip, and a finger hole that you really can use with gloves.

Last edited:
Self sealing DSMB's are better than the old fashioned open ended type.

I carry a large self sealing DSMB, and a reel (as a backup). The last few years I have been using a gas cartridge type and a finger spool - which is much easier when on CCR, as my primary DSMB.
This means I always have two. I often carry a yellow gas DSMB as well (= distress in Europe).

The finger spool is great because it packs down small, however, its a pain to reel in if deployed from any depth.
For deeper diving I still have a large 100m reel, as well.

As a general rule DSMB's are deployed as you prepare to leave the bottom so the boat can keep track of you, this is especially important in tidal areas when you are committed to decompression stops.
However, the skipper should always clarify this in his site briefing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom