SMB to fit in Dive rite quick draw sleeve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to round out the collection, here are a couple of shots of the SMB itself, unrolled:

Closeup size reference:
IMG_2854%20(Medium).JPG

24" size reference, full length:
IMG_2855%20(Medium).JPG

Showing both sides:
IMG_2856%20(Medium).JPG

Heads up Dude. When you get your Mach V I wager you'll be stowing it on the bottom of the plate. I mounted my quickdraw on the side of my plate when I had my OMS wing.
When I mounted the Mach V, the DSMB looked like a big outrigger there. Didn't dive it that way, so I can't speak to drag.

CompuDude:
You know, now that I re-read your post, I wonder if you aren't thinking about a different product than we are.

A safety sausage is a small inflatable tube around 4' and a few inches wide, that rolls up into a nice, compact little 3"x2" roll, and clips nicely from any available D-ring.

Compare that to the SMB (surface marker buoy), which is generally about 6' tall and 6-8" wide when inflated, and when deflated and rolled it's still a fairly substantial package that's a tube 6-8" long and 2-3" diameter... far larger than you'd probably want hanging freely from a D ring. One of the more common methods of stowing them involves a couple loops of bungee or tubing on your backplate, and stowing it along the side or bottom of the plate, where it's mostly out of the way.
marker220.jpg

Ah.... Got it. Yes, I was mistaken and thinking of a safety sausage, rather than an SMB. Sorry... I'm a dumb-azz.... :shakehead

Who makes that one and what are dimensions rolled and depoyed. Yours appears bigger than mine but looks like it packs smaller. I do have an oral inflator (which I have never used).
Thanks

CompuDude:
Just to round out the collection, here are a couple of shots of the SMB itself, unrolled:

Closeup size reference:
IMG_2854%20(Medium).JPG

24" size reference, full length:
IMG_2855%20(Medium).JPG

Showing both sides:
IMG_2856%20(Medium).JPG

Bought it from ScubaToys about 6-9 months ago, you're on your own for the measurements, they're all there in the photos if you want to do the math. :)

CompuDude:
you're on your own for the measurements, they're all there in the photos if you want to do the math. :)
Well, I suppose I could do that too...

Splitlip:
Well, I suppose I could do that too...
If it helps any, this is what it said on the ST page back when I bought it:

ScubaToys Large Safety Stop Signal with Dump Valve

This is a See Me Safety Signal on Steroids with a Dump Valve!

* Dump Valve
* Brass clip to attach to reel or line
* Extra D-ring at bottom of bag
* 6 Feet Tall
* 8 3/4" across
* Duck Bill valve to stop it from deflating at the surface
* Yellow on one side, Orange on the other
* Velcro Closure Straps for easy storage
* Use as a Safety Signal, Lift Bag, or Safety Stop Anchor

Someone did recently tell me they may not carry this exact one anymore.

Thanks. I have not found one locally that large that will fit in my sleeve. It is the oral inflator I think. I will give Joe a call Monday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom