SMB to fit in Dive rite quick draw sleeve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish_Whisperer:
Anyone have a photo of the sleeve? I've never heard of this, before.

ac2753.jpg

(have to click on pic for image. For some stupid reason SB won't let you post an image in the thread here)

It's a good idea, but too small for use.

I think I have given up on using the sleeve.:( I love the idea os the sleeve, bur as has been stated, the thing is just too small...unless you use the DR smb...I guess.

I'm just gonna try using surgical tubing and bungy my currrent and very large smb (similiar to to the DAN smb) to the bottom of my plate where the sleeve would be anyway. I would just buy the DR smb but it doesn't get the most glowing reviews in some other threads and the price is a bit high for what it is imho. Thanks all.:wink:

mike_s:
I've got the "cheaper version" of the Scuba Toys sausage at $39 bucks. I haven't used it yet, but it's got a diaphram in it to keep air in if that's what you mean by self-sealing. Someone else I know bought one also and said it held air.

As for the safety sleeve, I've been meaning to take it to my LDS to see if it will fit in the Dive Rite sleeve, but I'm afraid it will not.

I tried to fit the XS SCuba 50lb lift bag in it at the LDS last weekend and it won't fit, so I'm doubtfull the ST SMB will fit.
I don't know about the newer, larger ST SMB, but I have the original one (~$40) and it fits fine in the DiveRite sleeve. I leave it in there on every dive. Very handy, out of the way, fairly easy to deploy, and helps protect the bag from getting holes rubbed into it.

The "cheaper" ScubaToys bag is very nice. It won't keep air fully in it at the surface if you let it fully go up with zero tension on the string, but it doesn't take much to keep the open end under water. And if you're doing it right (don't read that wrong!), you would always have some tension on the line anyway. There is not a full duckbill, but a partial one, so it's quite reliable. (and that's how most open end devices have worked for years anyway before the duckbill enhancement became popular). The newer one is nice, but if you want it in the QuickDraw sleeve and it won't fit, I don't see that it offers that much advantage over the original version. And if you don't want it in the sleeve, the XS Scuba SMB DiveSportsOnline is selling is cheaper and better, IMO.

Ok... This might a solution to the issue here of getting a "larger" SMB to fit in a sleeve.

This is the Zeagle SMB & Sleeve system. I think it will hold the ST SMB. (maybe)

ZeagleQDMarkerKit.jpg

Scuba Toys has it on their site, but the only down side is that it's $150 bucks, which includes the sleeve, SMB, and reel.
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ZeagleDeployMarkerKit

I'll check with Joe/Larry to see if it's sold seperately.

EDIT: Thanks to El Orans for turning on the

So the other day I checked to see if the Scuba Toys SBM ($39) would fit into the Dive Rite sleeve ($14)

The answer is yes.... and no....

I was able to get it to fit in, but it was a tight roll on the SMB to make it fit. So it was a snug fit and might be hard to remove from behind you underwater with gloves on. I also found the velcro on the sleeve trying to "grab" the velcro on the SMB, which would make an underwater removal more difficult. (in my opinion)

But the SMB wouldn't go all the way inside because of the lenth of the "roll".
It came to about the end of the outside of the sleeve where there is velcro to close the sleeve. (sleeve would not close because of this).

However in looking at the websites afterwards, the dimensions don't "add up" to why it didn't fit. (I didn't think to measure the sleeve at the store)

The SMB is 8-3/4" across according to ST website.
but the Dive Rite sleeve internal dimensions are 10" long according to DR Express website. (Dive Rites corporate website doesn't give crap in details/dimensions).

So it should have easily fit if you use the above dimensions... but of course it doesn't

I verified the measurement of the ST SMB. It's 8-3/4" as it says.
Maybe the DR sleeve is really 10", but I didn't measure it at the store. But once the sleeve "bulks out" to fit the diameter of the rolled up SMB, it won't perfectly fit the SMB inside the sleeve and allow you to close the velcro. It sure doesn't fit in the pic as shown above in post #11.

If you up to "cramming" in the last 2" of the SMB, you could get the velcro to close.

The LDS employee told me he thinks that Dive Rite might be making those bags smaller now, but he wasn't sure. (Not something that one would really have a need to keep on top of a small measurement change on a single prodcut).

Oh well. Hope this is usefull information for you.

So it might work... or might not.. depending on how much patience you have.

Now... take a SMB that has a sealed diaphram along the bottom and has a little air left in it when rolled up, all bets are off on getting to fit I'm sure.

mike_s:
So the other day I checked to see if the Scuba Toys SBM ($39) would fit into the Dive Rite sleeve ($14)

The answer is yes.... and no....

I was able to get it to fit in, but it was a tight roll on the SMB to make it fit. So it was a snug fit and might be hard to remove from behind you underwater with gloves on. I also found the velcro on the sleeve trying to "grab" the velcro on the SMB, which would make an underwater removal more difficult. (in my opinion)

But the SMB wouldn't go all the way inside because of the lenth of the "roll".
It came to about the end of the outside of the sleeve where there is velcro to close the sleeve. (sleeve would not close because of this).

However in looking at the websites afterwards, the dimensions don't "add up" to why it didn't fit. (I didn't think to measure the sleeve at the store)

The SMB is 8-3/4" across according to ST website.
but the Dive Rite sleeve internal dimensions are 10" long according to DR Express website. (Dive Rites corporate website doesn't give crap in details/dimensions).

So it should have easily fit if you use the above dimensions... but of course it doesn't

I verified the measurement of the ST SMB. It's 8-3/4" as it says.
Maybe the DR sleeve is really 10", but I didn't measure it at the store. But once the sleeve "bulks out" to fit the diameter of the rolled up SMB, it won't perfectly fit the SMB inside the sleeve and allow you to close the velcro. It sure doesn't fit in the pic as shown above in post #11.

If you up to "cramming" in the last 2" of the SMB, you could get the velcro to close.

The LDS employee told me he thinks that Dive Rite might be making those bags smaller now, but he wasn't sure. (Not something that one would really have a need to keep on top of a small measurement change on a single prodcut).

Oh well. Hope this is usefull information for you.

So it might work... or might not.. depending on how much patience you have.

Now... take a SMB that has a sealed diaphram along the bottom and has a little air left in it when rolled up, all bets are off on getting to fit I'm sure.

Great info Mike, THANKS.

I have personally decided to bungie mine under my back plate for warm water diving and use my dry suit pocket in colder water. I sure would love to use my DR sleeve though but, I am not willing to pay 100 bucks for a DR DSMB that gets just OKreviews.

scubadobadoo:
Great info Mike, THANKS.

I have personally decided to bungie mine under my back plate for warm water diving and use my dry suit pocket in colder water. I sure would love to use my DR sleeve though but, I am not willing to pay 100 bucks for a DR DSMB that gets just OKreviews.

I actually planned to use the DR Sleeve, but the fit just wasn't that great.
It also won't fit my lift bag at all.

So I'm going to go the bungee route also.... (or just snap bolt to D-ring)

Dunno what to tell y'all. Perhaps one or the other design has changed from when I bought mine late last year, but my $40 ScubaToys SMB fits perfectly (if somewhat snugly) in my DR QuickDraw sleeve.

I'll try to remember to take some photos tonight.

mike_s beat me to it. i have that same DR quick draw sleeve and ST smb. i've managed to get mine in but the velcro doesn't seal up, though its such a tight fit that it doesn't move. the only problem would be if you need to stow it underwater. i'd say it would be impossible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom