Sensorcon CO Meter: Quick Review and Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seymour Fisch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Reading the Accidents and Incidents forum over the past year or so convinced me that I definitely wanted to get a carbon monoxide analyzer eventually. (What I was really hoping for was that these would become as common as oxygen analyzers, such that I could borrow one at any shop or dive op whenever I needed one, as I don't dive that frequently, but this hasn't happened yet.) An upcoming trip to a remote location in a developing country pushed me over the edge, so I ordered the Sensorcon Carbon Monoxide Detector Meter with the (recently discontinued) Scuba kit. I figured I'd share my first impressions, as well as ask a few questions of other more experienced users.

(tl;dr version -- the meter seems great, but without a flow restrictor, you don't get consistent readings. The discontinued Scuba kit is unimpressive. I think it'll work for a quick/sloppy check for dangerous CO levels, and it's less than half the price of the alternatives, but if the Analox meter were still available, I'm guessing I would have been happier with that.)

The kit comes in a black plastic case. From the webpage photos, I had imagined something like a Pelican case, but the actual case isn't nearly as sturdy -- I can flex it with my bare hands. It was also bigger than I was expecting, about 10"x9"x3" (25cm x 22cm x 7 cm roughly), so it'd fit in my dive bag, but it takes up more space than I'd like. This was a disappointment. The case was nicely foam filled and protected the contents nicely during shipping. I'm thinking for actual use, I might try to get away with fewer components, and with the meter in a much smaller Pelican case.

Inside, the kit included the CO meter itself, which is compact and felt like a high quality product. There was also a Yoke-to-DIN adapter, two screw-in fittings, and a couple feet of plastic hose with a T-fitting, a pressure relief valve, and a little plastic nodule that I assumed was some sort of flow restrictor. These components seemed rather cheap and kludgey. There was also a nicely printed, but very brief user manual and quick start guide (a few 3"x4" pages), and two pages of 8.5x11 color photocopied instructions for the Scuba kit. The Scuba stuff really felt like an afterthought, and Sensorcon has apparently discontinued sales of the kit.

The meter felt very sturdy, and it's supposedly waterproof (I think only splash proof, not immersion, and certainly not depth rated). It has a very sturdy locking belt clip on it, which looks removable (and I'll likely remove to make it more compact). It comes pre-calibrated, and you're supposed to recalibrate every 6 months. You can calibrate it yourself with 50ppm bump gas, or send it back to the company. It's the same meter they sell for home and furnace inspections, etc.

Following the assembly instructions for testing a tank, the process was easy, but much more cumbersome than the Analox nitrox analyzer I have used before. You screw the DIN fitting into the yoke adapter, twist on the plastic hose, then insert the other end into the meter, attach the yoke to the tank, turn on the meter, and just barely open the tank valve. According to the supplied instructions, "When you hear or feel air escaping from the open end of the white air relief value [sic], you have opened the air tank valve sufficiently to take a gas measurement." More on that in a moment.

The meter is very sensitive and responds fast. In my office, I was getting around 2-3ppm. Walking outside, away from traffic, I would get 1-2ppm, or down to 0 on a particularly clear and windy day. Holding it near my car exhaust for a moment immediately set off the alarm, with the reading skyrocketing. The first time I tried it in my dive shop, however, it was showing around 20ppm CO in the ambient air, but this was believable, as the shop is located below ground, with several fast-food outlets nearby, grilling burgers and such. However, when I hooked it up to some tanks and tested them, I was getting very high readings, that varied wildly depending on how much I opened the tank valve, and these were going well over 100ppm. The shop manager showed me their most recent quarterly air inspection report, which passed easily, with <2ppm CO. We tried three different tanks, all with crazily high readings that changed considerably with slight changes to the valve opening. I figured the "flow restrictor" must be defective and emailed customer service.

Customer service was very prompt, very friendly, but basically said that that was just the way the meter worked, and that there is NO flow restrictor. The CSR didn't tell me what the little plastic capsule inline in the tubing does, but it looks like it might just be a little dust filter or something. She said that the calibration is for 0.5l/minute, that the meter is extremely sensitive to flow rate, and that if any air escapes from the overpressure valve, I'm definitely opening the valve too much. (So much for following the supplied instructions...)

Back to the dive shop again, by just barely cracking the valve the tiniest amount, I could get the readings down to about 5ppm. Unfortunately, I could easily get the readings to vary between 5 to about 15ppm by varying just slightly how little I opened the valve. So... without buying an expensive flow restrictor, I don't see any way to get repeatable, accurate CO measurements of tank air.

Conclusion: the meter itself is a neat, high quality product, at a great price, but it's not really well-tailored for use as a scuba tank analyzer. It'd be really great if Sensorcon, or a third party, could come up with a way to make this meter easier to use and more repeatable. E.g., I'm guessing that a little dome that fit over the sensor input, with a small orifice to pass through a bit of gas, would do the trick. Even as-is, though, for my purposes, it's probably good enough: I'm pretty sure it reads high, so I'll try to test tanks by opening the air as little as I can, and if I get a reading of, say, 20ppm (the US OSHA limit for commercial diving, which is much higher than e.g., British limits) or less, I'll use the tank, and if I get a really high reading, I'll reject it. The meter with the discontinued scuba kit was less than half the cost of the competing OxyCheq meter (and discontinued Analox meter that everyone loved), and now with no scuba kit, the meter itself is only $120, so not too bad. I haven't used the other products, so I don't know how much better they might be.

Questions:

For other users of this meter, any suggestions on how to get reliable readings? Maybe vent gas into a little plastic baggie?

Alternatively, any suggestions on making this easier to use? I'd hate to be futzing with all the kit contents on a dive boat. If I'm just using this for a rough check, could I get away just blowing some gas into the meter straight from the tank valve?

Does anyone know any source of small amount of 50ppm CO bump gas in Canada (ideally Vancouver or Canadian mail-order)?

I didnt buy the scuba kit for mine however I use it teed off on my o2 analyzer I found that is is very sensitive to pressure and will quickly read higher if pressure is above ambient. My O2 analyzer is the OMS kit with the firststage and flow 4LPM restriction barb you can also get these to connect to the LP inflator connection on your regs search for BC Flow restrictor http://www.oxycheq.com/expedition-bc-flow-restrictor-with-nozzle.html thats the one I bought not where I bought it from. The sensorcon needs to be connected via a t fitting so that extra gas can escape.

Grainger catalog has 50ppm Calibration gas not sure what shipping to Canada would be like though.

If you got the entire kit for half price then consider it a very good deal because if you price out the case, supplied yoke, lab grade Tygon tubing, Luer locks, delrin adapters, and VOC reduction filter the cost should have been even more than what they were originally charging. But as you found out the average diver is unable to control the flow to the sensor at 0.5 lpm making the sensor essentially useless for the application it was purchased for.

Here is what you could do.

1. Your idea of using a bag is a good one albeit very cumbersome and time consuming on a rocking dive boat. Get some medium sized Ziplock bags and put the Sensorcon in the bag with the hose inserted about a inch into the bag. Open the tank valve as little as possible so that the bag inflates and now zip the bag closed tightly against the Tygon tubing allowing the bag to remain inflated but excess air pressure to escape. Wait at least one minute for the reading to stabilize. It should read zero from any scuba tank where the air has been processed through a catalyst bed to convert CO to CO2. That would essentially be any dive shop in the Vancouver area.

2. I would try purchasing a 1 lpm BCD flow restrictor from Nuvair for $US30 ( or better yet purchase their CO analyzer which doesn't require calibration) and take your reading off of this. It is an extra step in that you have to have a regulator on the tank but you are using that regulator to your advantage to reduce your tank pressure down to intermediate pressure of 130 psig which makes controlling the flow much easier. Nuvair might even be able to set up a flow restrictor at 0.5 lpm if you offer to pay for the custom flow rate. I really suspect though that the 1 lpm rate will be low enough to not over-pressurize the sensor.
Flow Restrictors and Flow Meters

3. Try a different tank valve that is easier to feather. I've been away from these valves for a while but I seem to recall the Genesis valves were the worst with either full on or full off while the Thermo valves offered more control. Go on the tech diving section on SB and ask which valve will offer you the greatest control as those guys will know the current scene.

There are other problems with this Sensorcon sensor that do not seem to be such an issue with the scuba-dedicated products on the market by Analox (discontined), Oxychek, or Nuvair. I suspect this is because those sensors come with a filter which reduces the cross-reactivity of other volatiles in the air such as NO and in particular the alcohols.

You will see that just waving a Sharpie marker anywhere near these analyzers will result in a positive reading (an alcohol is used as the solvent in the marker) but some more than others and the sensor will become useless depending on the exposure for a good 12 hours. If you really want to see the problem with this unit put it in your car while driving and use the windshield washer several times. The fumes from the methanol in the washer fluid will lock up the sensor for half a day in the 10 to 20 ppm range. If you see the sensor hung up such that it will not return to zero assume it has been exposed to a cross reacting volatile (gives a false positive CO reading but not CO).

This type of interference is much less with the Analox unit and I suspect the Oxycheq or Nuvair models.

You won't get a small tank of 50 ppm calibration gas plus the needed 0.5 regulator for anything under $300 here in Canada. A 17 or 34 litre tank of 50 ppm CO/balance air is $70 plus tax. Any calibration gas tank is considered hazmat for shipping so you definitely want to purchase it in Canada and not ship by ground across the border because shipping will be more than the cost of the tank. You cannot take a tank of calgas on an airplane.
Item # 71-SERIES, Fixed Flow Regulator (for 17 & 34 Liter Cylinders) with Push Button ON/OFF On Concept Controls

It is far cheaper to send your Sensorcon back to the manufacturer for calibration at ?$40 once a year than purchase your own calibration equipment.

If you do purchase your own calibration gear then you might have a look at the CO analyzer by Rae Systems called the ToxiRae 3 (not 2) for $250 and rig that up to check tanks off your BCD flow restrictor. It is disposable so after about 5 years you'll have to purchase a new one when the sensor expires but mine has lasted 5 years and is still going strong. If you have a friend in Singapore you can get the sensor replaced over there by Rae Systems but not here in North America.
ToxiRAE 3 Monitors On Concept Controls

It is really too bad that Analox stopped making their great unit but if you can find one for cheap I'd pick it up. They will be still selling sensors for the unit until July 2016 and the sensor in my unit has lasted 5 years now. Calibration though would be an issue and the calibration fitting is another $80 from Analox.

Good luck!

Knowing that the test gas was calibrated for .5lpm, I simply bought an orifice from McMasterCarr preset for .5 lpm and installed it inline. Works fine.

Calibration can be purchased from Cal Gas, 17 L for $32 US and a .5 lpm regulator for $110. I have two of the sensors, one at each fill station for the customers to use. A 17 L tank should last for more than 15 years of use (2-30 sec tests per year, a little sluff, worst case a L per year) versus $40 per test, twice a year. Even with one meter that's a break even after two and a half years! I was told the sensor should last 5-10 years of regular use.

Wow! Thanks to all you guys for these incredibly helpful and encyclopedic answers! :worship:

If you got the entire kit for half price then consider it a very good deal because if you price out the case, supplied yoke, lab grade Tygon tubing, Luer locks, delrin adapters, and VOC reduction filter ...

Aha, so that's what that little capsule is!

There are other problems with this Sensorcon sensor that do not seem to be such an issue with the scuba-dedicated products on the market by Analox (discontined), Oxychek, or Nuvair. I suspect this is because those sensors come with a filter which reduces the cross-reactivity of other volatiles in the air such as NO and in particular the alcohols.

You will see that just waving a Sharpie marker anywhere near these analyzers will result in a positive reading (an alcohol is used as the solvent in the marker) but some more than others and the sensor will become useless depending on the exposure for a good 12 hours. If you really want to see the problem with this unit put it in your car while driving and use the windshield washer several times. The fumes from the methanol in the washer fluid will lock up the sensor for half a day in the 10 to 20 ppm range. If you see the sensor hung up such that it will not return to zero assume it has been exposed to a cross reacting volatile (gives a false positive CO reading but not CO).

Sensorcon's FAQ claims that the sensor is mostly not cross-reactive to alcohols, and I just tried with a dry-erase marker (not sure what solvent is being used in that, but it'll be some sort of VOC) and didn't get any reading. They note 10-15% cross sensitivity to hydrogen. But thanks for this very useful info... it's definitey something I'll need to keep in mind (particularly that a cross-reaction can knock out the sensor for several hours).

Again, thank you to all of you folks!

Sensorcon's FAQ claims that the sensor is mostly not cross-reactive to alcohols, and I just tried with a dry-erase marker (not sure what solvent is being used in that, but it'll be some sort of VOC) and didn't get any reading. They note 10-15% cross sensitivity to hydrogen. But thanks for this very useful info... it's definitey something I'll need to keep in mind (particularly that a cross-reaction can knock out the sensor for several hours).

Again, thank you to all of you folks!

Interestingly when I hold a fresh permanent fine Sharpie about 1 cm from the inlet it will read 5 ppm but once removed it rapidly returns to 0 ppm. This Sharpie contains butanol and diacetone alcohol.
MSDSSheets

All the sensors will react to methanol as seen in the reference below Table 3 but the Drager unit is particularly sensitive.

If you have winter windshield washer in your car which is a high percentage of methanol turn on the car's ignition but not the engine. Now run the wash cycle about 3 times and leave the heater intake fan running. Put the analyzer on the dash and after about 5 minutes you will see the effects of methanol on your detector.:D

Don't worry it will return to 0 ppm but it may take a few hours.

Attachments

• Cross-sensitivities in CO sensors.pdf
    114.7 KB · Views: 160
Fascinating... Thanks, swamp diver. If I hadn't read your info here, I would have been very confused.

The Sensorcon FAQ says that "Alcohols (like rubbing alcohol) should not cause the CO inspector to respond unless there is a significant amount near the gas sensor inlet. So if you clean the face of the inspector with a little alcohol, it normally shouldn't respond unless you got carried away (e.g. directly hold a tissue soaked with alcohol over the sensor port)."

I had an old bottle of methanol lying around, so I uncapped it and held the sensor near the opening for maybe 20 seconds... nothing. Then, I grabbed a laundry marker (Sanford brand, "Rub-a-Dub"), uncapped it and held the tip near the sensor. Again... nothing. After a while, the display went up by 1ppm, so I figured the meter must not be that sensitive to these VOC. I went off to look for some rubbing alcohol to try, but before I tried anything else, I noticed that the display had gone up to 8ppm now, and it was still climbing, even though I had nothing nearby, just normal clean air. Over the next 30-45 minutes or so, it gradually climbed up to about 25ppm, and then over the next couple hours, it gradually drifted back down again. This whole effect was very very slow.

Before the meter had returned back to normal, I exposed it to some CO (I smothered a candle in a little jar), and it responded very quickly, alarmed, and then cleared in fresh air, so even when the sensor is affected by the alcohol, it still responds to CO.

I tried again today with a splash of grappa, of unknown strength, and got no response, so the meter seems resistant to exposure to fumes from liquor. :D

Exposure to methanol had the same effect again. (I was wondering if the pen had something else in it that was causing the response.) I'm guessing that these experiments fall under what Sensorcon considers to be getting carried away...

The Sensorcon FAQ also says that the meter cross-reacts about 10-15% to hydrogen, and that the most common exposure to hydrogen is human flatulence. For the sake of science, I had to try this out :eyebrow:, and indeed, the meter alarmed very quickly, then cleared very quickly (and the display actually went negative for a couple seconds), returning to 0-2ppm.

All in all, I'm increasingly comfortable with my plan to use this as a rough go/no-go tank tester, but understanding the idiosyncrasies of the meter is clearly important. Thanks!

Well I'm impressed that you verified the hydrogen cross-sensitivity!

We've used many of these analyzers in vehicles so one just has to be aware that if you use the windshield washer with methanol you will register a false positive and yes it does take several minutes to see the spike and a couple hours to resolve the false positive.

The Rae Systems ToxiRae 3 is the fastest detector of the bunch reaching the T90 (90% of actual CO value) in 12 seconds. That is very good feature when you're on a rocking wet dive boat. Here are the cross-sensitivities for that detector.

Attachments

• ToxiRae III Sensitivity Data.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 208

Back
Top Bottom