SMB makers - which is best and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use and highly recommend the CBSS-20 SMB from Carter Lift Bags, great product and awesome service. I owned one for around a year, although not greatly used, and it began leaking through a seam, I contacted Carter to see what if anything could be done, they said send it back and they would look at it. About two weeks later I received not only a repaired SMB but also a brand new one, I was charged nothing for this not even postage. Jim himself dealt with it. I am a Carter customer for life. I use a 100' halcyon finger spool, as previously mentioned remove some of the line as it does make attaching the bolt snap through the holes easier. I used to have a DSS stainless steel spool, very well made product, smaller than the Halcyon spool (and cheaper) a potential problem with it as I see it is that if you should drop it it will sink like a lead balloon, whereas the Halcyon spool kinda just hangs in front of you. Good Luck.

I used to have a DSS stainless steel spool, very well made product, smaller than the Halcyon spool (and cheaper) a potential problem with it as I see it is that if you should drop it it will sink like a lead balloon, whereas the Halcyon spool kinda just hangs in front of you. Good Luck.

Not true. Delrin is not neutrally buoyant, the specific gravity of acetal is about 1.42.

SS is of course denser than acetal, but when you add 100 ft of nylon line, which is just slightly negative, to a spool made of SS the net negative buoyancy is close to what you get with a much larger volume of delrin + 100 ft of nylon line.

There is of course no need to drop the spool, the DSS spools are easy to spool out using your thumb and first finger, the large, smooth center hole accommodates even dry gloves easily.

Don't believe me? Go drop your delrin spool in the water and see how fast it sinks....

Tobin

Not true. Delrin is not neutrally buoyant, the specific gravity of acetal is about 1.42.

SS is of course denser than acetal, but when you add 100 ft of nylon line, which is just slightly negative, to a spool made of SS the net negative buoyancy is close to what you get with a much larger volume of delrin + 100 ft of nylon line.

There is of course no need to drop the spool, the DSS spools are easy to spool out using your thumb and first finger, the large, smooth center hole accommodates even dry gloves easily.

Don't believe me? Go drop your delrin spool in the water and see how fast it sinks....

Tobin

I believe you Tobin. Thanks for the explanation. Of course there is no need to drop the spool but it does happen (well has to me anyway). I have dropped the ss spool, bad form on my part more practice obviously needed, and it did sink at a rate faster than I could catch,(perhaps "like a lead balloon" was an over exaggeration) I have also dropped the Halcyon spool and it didn't seem to sink at the same rate. This is only my opinion based on my limited experience and was in no way intended as a knock on your product. I own numerous items from DSS and have been very happy with them all, quality, construction, function etc. JMO. Cheers.

PS and for the record I did find the SS spool easier to use especially when wearing gloves...

Appreciate this thread as I'm considering an SMB for the first time in my life, mostly for trips away from my home waters (Catalina) where I've only found them truly useful on the rare occasions I miss the anchor line and have to do extended deco in blue water. Like to let the boat know where I am in those cases.

OMS has a nice 9'7" one as well as a 16' version. The 16' would be a pain to pack, but wow, if you ever needed it...
On the OMS closeout page, they have the 9'7" model for $77.50. That's pretty unbeatable for an open ocean SMB.

Product Listing Lifts-c

A bit of a thread drift but not entirely off track;

I have a 6' Zeagle SMB with the quick-draw and like it, but would like something a bit smaller for just shooting at the end of a dive - maybe around 3-4. I'd prefer a duckbill valve, OPV and the option for oral inflation.

Suggestions for something well built without being so bulky I'll be tempted to leave it at home?

Thanks

Henrik

I used a 3' unbranded SMB that I got for around 10 bucks (?) and its been awesome for the last 70 dives till it sprung a leak on my last dive. Heh awesome value for money I'd say since I don't usually do deep ocean dives. Most of my dives are done on reefs or near shore and the only think I really worry about are idiotic indeginous malaysian boatmen who don't watch out for divers below, idiotic tourists on jet skis who don't watch out for divers below and idiotic divers who like to jump off the second deck into the sea who don't look out for divers below.

Yes I know I said that thrice.

Thinking of getting the more durable OMS 6' one next. If I get the 9' the others will just laugh at me <<embarrassed>>

IHAVE A HALCYON smb 6 foot or so. prpobzbly 1.5 cu ft volumn por perhaps 2 bc's volumn . i am fitting it with a co2 inflator. there is no way you can inflate one and keep depth unless you are deep in which case you can fill 20% and control it till you let it go. not true for 15 ft.

also look for something that has a pocket in it. you can put messages in it. solo diver stuff.

Although in general I try to avoid Halcyon gear on principle, I have to say that I really love their SMBs. I have tried six different kinds, including the Trident, Zeagle and DSS bags, and I still like the Halcyon the best. The inflation nipple is easy to manage with cold lips, and you can use an LP hose on it if you wish; it has an OPV as well.

Back
Top Bottom