SMB makers - which is best and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Dan SMB and love it. I have another that needs a repair. Any suggestions on what I can seal a knife cut in a SMB?
you can use any BC patch; or if you have some access to good quality nylon/Cordura you can cement a sizable piece of it using neoprene-based cement (like Bison-Kit).
BTW, DAN kit is the best I used so far; good visibility & very useful all-in-one signaling package

My favorite has always been the Zeagle SMB/Liftbag. Like this one:
Signal Tube Deluxe p/n 251-1002 Zeagle Systems - Scuba Diving Equipment Manufacturer
We use them for signaling as well as sending fish to the surface when spearfishing in sharky waters.
I also found an almost identical bag from Piranha Dive (they advertise on here) for about half the price. If I know that I am ascending without a diveflag I will always the bag up from about 25ft on a finger spool so that I can do a safety stop and not need to manually inflate at the surface.
Both of the bags I mentioned have a "duckbill" for inflation from the bottom. I just use my octo to inflate.

Did you get their Quick Deploy system with the spool in the pouch mounted to the BC?

Amazon.com: Zeagle Quick Deploy Deluxe Signal Tube with Thumb Reel ( Style: Deploy System (730-3001P) ): OnlineScuba

Adam

in your opinion, what is the best basic reel to attach to an SMB? i am looking for one that is easy to use, not too bulky and won't break on me! thanks.

in your opinion, what is the best basic reel to attach to an SMB? i am looking for one that is easy to use, not too bulky and won't break on me! thanks.
I wouldn't purchase a reel for an SMB, too bulky. Get a spool with enough line to match your depth requirements. Spools will be much more compact for storing and carrying while you dive. A basic plastic/delrin spool with 100 ft of line will run about $30.

Mine is an Orcre and it has lead weights on the bottom plus a dump valve so it can be ued as a light load lift bag!
Did you know that Padi now has an SMB Specialty course so you can learn to deploy one in just 2 dives! That a really great specialty to have don't you think!

Get a spool, not a reel.

30.02-2.jpg

Halcyon Defender Spools at DiveSeekers.com 1-888-SCUBA-47

100ft or 150ft depending on your need.

A tip on the spool and amount of line .. many spools come with the line loaded all the way to the top of the spool ... I removed 10' of line from my 100' spool just so it easier to snap the clip through the holes and keep the line from crawling over the sides while winding it up

thanks to everyone for all their suggestions. just one followup question: do these spools have handles to wind up the line quickly? when i was diving in palau we deployed our SMBs after every dive, 5 dives a day. 50 dives later i found hand winding just too cumbersome!

i am headed to layang layang later this month and want to make sure i am prepared. thanks again!

I've seen some "spools" that do, you don't need them though

hold spool by edges in left hand , clip snaplink on line with right hand, and use it as a "handle" to wind the line around the spool ... right arm moving in a "stir the pot" motion

another tip ... once your sure that your neautral at your SMB deployment depth , rig it by watching it out of the corner of your eye while looking at the particulate matter in the water .. it's very easy to see if your moving up or down in the water column , it made holding my depth easy while busy working on unstowing, unrolling, clipping spool to SMB ..... when your ready to deploy it, look overhead for divers/etc and be ready to let go of spool if Anything happens ... another point .. do your first deployment after your safety stop .. just in case you find yourself going up after fudging up your first time Yes, I did

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom