SMB makers - which is best and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a OMS 5'2" SMB. It provides 30 lbs of lift, has an OPV, handle, and has a bell bottom for filling it without removing your regulator (a key feature I look for). My only problem with it has been the fact that I feel it's too big for most of the shallower diving I do. Yeah, launch if from 70 feet and you'll do fine but from 15 it's almost worthless.

I've tried the Halcyon model, it's nice but I seriously look for a bag I can fill without removing my regulator. That nipple confused the crap out of me during my Essentials class, much to the chagrin on my instructor and the rest of the class during video review, so I'm not a fan of anything that tempts me to hook my LPI hose to it. I'm about to go shopping myself for a smaller model that features a bell bottom like my OMS model so once again, filling can be accomplished without touching my 2nd stage.

Peace,
Greg

my dive crew all uses carter SMB's

The answer to your questions depends on your intended use.

The only thing I can add to the above comments is that yellow is more visible at a distance than orange. I know Halcyon makes a 6-foot SMB in yellow, which is what I have for surface marking.

I have a small 3-foot orange buoy for marking my position during deco drifts.

I am a little disappointed in Halcyon lately. SMBs always seem to get little pin-hole leaks here and there and the latest Halcyon SMBs have an even thinner material than the older models. I would avoid Halcyon SMBs at this point.

I would go Halcyon, I currently have an XS Scuba, required Halcyon type modifications in order to deploy at depth, XS Scuba comes in a mesh bag with a plastic retainer, very hard to remove the SMB from the bag with dry gloves on. Plastic retainer clip on SMB does come off a standard D ring readily. The bag is now gone, SMB wrapped with a small bungee, clip has been replaced with a Stainless split ring and attaches to one end of the double ender clip on the finger reel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom