SMB - Lift bag....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
Michael,

Buddy (ap valves) has a liftbag with a small spare-air type cylinder on it. All you have to do to deploy it is to open the cylinder. Link

Maybe something like this would work for you.

R..

Thanks for the link. That might be the solution but, I gotta try the old way first. :wink: If I can't, I definitely will look into this unit. :)

Michael

One more thought then it is off to family stuff.
If you consider just sending up from safety stop depth, you only need a max of say 25' and maybe you could use own of those little kite spools to rewind one handed.

Tom Smedley:
Michael

I think there is a way to overcome any problem. However, I would be interested in how you rewind the thumb reel.

Again, I've been "testing" the release and re-reel of the spool. I'll hold th spool up and let he clip pull the line out. Just before it hits the ground, I'll stop it and start reeling it back in. It will be slow and tedious but, it's at the end of the dive and I'm sure I will not ascend to fast with how slow it will be. :)

Thanks and I'll let you know. (I might be getting my nephew an underwater camera (point click kind without the need of a case 10' max or something.) and get him to film me while I practice. :p)

Michael

Splitlip:
I suggested the Manta reel over the spool because the Manta locks bag down once you take pressure off the handle. No messing with double enders mechanisms which require 2 handed operation. Even though a plastic spool WILL just spin in front of you until the bag hits the surface.
As to winding up while surfacing, you just may not be able to do it. The reel might need to hang while you follow the line to the surface and retrieve the reel and line once you are back on the boat.. I know from your other thread, you were speaking of shooting from 30 ft or less.
The point about oral inflation challenges is a good one. Since you are diving a 7ft hose and necklaced 2nd stage, be certain you are able grab your alternate without using your hand. Even then, with the long hose routed properly behind your neck, it should hang nicely in front of you on your chest when out of your mouth. Another thing to think about to, if you remove the reg from your mouth and let it hang (or clip it off), you may have to adjust it to avoid free flow.
The AP Valve bag is the one I was thinking of earlier.

I looked at the site and it looks great for the deploy but, the rewind would suck and if there was a current or a lot of divers around I wouldn't want to take a chance of getting anyone caught in it.

Michael

Splitlip:
One more thought then it is off to family stuff.
If you consider just sending up from safety stop depth, you only need a max of say 25' and maybe you could use own of those little kite spools to rewind one handed.

That's a thought. I know for now it will be for the safety stop, no deco diving here for now. But, just incase I ever need to deploy at a different depth, I want to make sure I can safely and effectively deploy it at any depth.

Thanks again.

Michael

rhlee:
3) unclip double-ender and clip it to chest d-ring (hrm, not sure about this one. perhaps if you do this fast enough, your bag/spool will just float and you can retrieve it. I think my bag is very very close to neutral, but I think my spool is negative)
I think you would clip the double ender, spool and SMB onto a D-ring, and then unclip the spool from the double ender. The double ender would stay on the d-ring and the spool/SMB would be in your hand.

As far as reeling in the spool one handed- it would be slow to reel it up by spinning it, but you could spool it up by pronating the wrist (wrist rotates, but the spool doesn't). It goes on a bit lopsided, so you'll have to get a larger spool to hold all the line. You might also be able to stick your finger in the spool and roll it around with the other fingers or thumb.

I once spooled in about 75' of line on a jump and it's a pain the hands- and I was using two hands! On the ascent, it's not so bad with stops since you can rest for about a minute every 10'. :D

Post some pictures so we can see how it goes!

Some may disagree with my set up, but that's ok. I've had people disagree with me before.

But, here's my SMB/Liftbag/Reel set up. First, I ALWAYS dive with a 30lb lift SMB or Lift bag. It is my secondary source of bouyancy in an emergency.

The SMB or Lift bag is attached to my reel/spool all the time. If I need the reel for something else, I'll unclip the SMB/bag. The reel is attached to the D-ring on my right hip, whether my light is there or not. I know you have one arm, but I don't know which. If it can't go on your right, then clip to your left hip D-ring.

Another option is to put a large D-rinig on the bottom corner of your backplate and clip the reel/spool there.

My SMB/bag has a bungee holding it rolled up. Easy enough to remove with one hand.

How about using a Fly fishing reel. The kind that has a lever to automatically rewind the line. I think it uses a spring that automatically tightens as line is pulled out then the lever releases the spring and the line is reeled back in. I am not sure about tension adjustment tho. Here is a link to one also not sure how this would handle salt water or long term submersion to even fresh water but at $29.95 might be worth it to try.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_46130_175001001_175000000_175001000_175-1-1

what do you have to do to get it to reel in?

R..

Back
Top Bottom