SMB - Lift bag....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwhities

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm sure a few of you might know me by now, I'm the big one-armed guy of SB (haven't heard of any others). I was just thinking that I might not be able, haven't tried it yet like an idiot, to deploy a lift bag or SMB at any depth.

So my question is, since I can't go diving for awhile, how hard might it be to deploy a SMB/lift bag with only using one-arm/hand? (Although, I can try it in my brother-in-laws pool next week.) Anyways, could someone give a few hints if you've been in a position that required you to use only one-hand to deploy an SMB/lift bag? I have a finger spool (100') and a DAN SMB. Like I said, I guess I can try in the pool next week, AFTER I get my BP/W dialed in. :)

I had thought about trying it when I was in Cozumel but, everytime I did think about it, it was to late to tell the DM/boat cap that I was going to and not to worry. :|

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I'll post what happens next week if I get a chance to try it in an 8' pool. :)

Michael

http://www.mantaind.com/services.htm
I put this link on your other thread, but I think the Manta reel may be a good place to start. the spool is released when you squeeze the handle. One hand.
You would want your bag pre rigged of course to the reel.
My thought would be use a small orally inflated DSMB like the Halcyon 3'. I like it because you can get neutral (with lungs full) at 30 ft and all you do is transfer 1 breath to inflate the thing fully when it hits the surface. I think you might be able to manage it all with 1 hand. The nice thing about the small bag and one breath thing, you can take your time while staying neutral and hold the bag until you are situated (a 2nd stage back in yiur mouth etc)and ready to deploy it.
I have made a mess of things on several occasions shooting bigger bags. The little Halcyon bag is real easy.

Edit:another thought. In the UK they use DSMB with their own litle compressed air cylinders attached. That could be an option too.

The problem with a reel is that it would be harder to wind up during the ascent.

I think a pre-rigged spool would be the way to go- once the bag starts going, you can let it go and it will unroll right in front on you (unless it jams, then it rides the bag to the top. If you're lucky it will come back down).

If you had a cuff dump in your drysuit, you might be able to dump air in to the bag from your suit and stay neutral until you release the bag. Or use an open bottom or baffled bag so you can use your exhaust bubbles (just be sure to keep it neat so you don't get tangled). Or you coiuld use a LP hose and an inflator to really fill it fast.

Also a tiny puff of air in the bag keeps things organized while you are getting every things ready. It keeps the up part up and the down part down.

Good luck and let us know how it goes in the pool.

I think teh actual inflating part is not difficult to do one handed, but the surrounding parts will be. Thinking through this step by step, assuming a start with a pre-loaded bag,

1) retrieve bag from pocket (OK)
2) close pocket (probably ok, you can probably do this while holding the bag/spool with your other fingers)
3) unclip double-ender and clip it to chest d-ring (hrm, not sure about this one. perhaps if you do this fast enough, your bag/spool will just float and you can retrieve it. I think my bag is very very close to neutral, but I think my spool is negative)
4) unroll the bag (probably this can be done one-handed with sufficient practice)
5) lookup up (no problem)
6) inflate bag
so here, you have like 3 options I think. The bag that I have has a oral inflate only. I think this will be tough to do, because you won't be able to easily replace your reg (or, at least, I rely on two hands to do it; one to hold the bag, adn the other to remove/replace the reg). Halcyon makes a bag that you can inflate with your drysuit/LP inflator hose. With that, you could probably do it one handed, but I'm not sure; I've never used one that way. With an OC bag, you can probably use your exhalation bubbles to inflate the bag which would avoid the need to remove/replace the reg. I've seen people do this and it looks pretty slick.

7) verify the knot (I like to unroll about a foot of the line and verify again that it is knotted properly and clear of entanglements. Perhaps this is optional)
8) let'er rip.

I'm not sure how you would real it up on the way up though.

good luck with this; I'd be curious to hear back on your efforts.

Michael,

Buddy (ap valves) has a liftbag with a small spare-air type cylinder on it. All you have to do to deploy it is to open the cylinder. Link

Maybe something like this would work for you.

R..

Michael

I think there is a way to overcome any problem. However, I would be interested in how you rewind the thumb reel.

I suggested the Manta reel over the spool because the Manta locks bag down once you take pressure off the handle. No messing with double enders mechanisms which require 2 handed operation. Even though a plastic spool WILL just spin in front of you until the bag hits the surface.
As to winding up while surfacing, you just may not be able to do it. The reel might need to hang while you follow the line to the surface and retrieve the reel and line once you are back on the boat.. I know from your other thread, you were speaking of shooting from 30 ft or less.
The point about oral inflation challenges is a good one. Since you are diving a 7ft hose and necklaced 2nd stage, be certain you are able grab your alternate without using your hand. Even then, with the long hose routed properly behind your neck, it should hang nicely in front of you on your chest when out of your mouth. Another thing to think about to, if you remove the reg from your mouth and let it hang (or clip it off), you may have to adjust it to avoid free flow.
The AP Valve bag is the one I was thinking of earlier.

Splitlip:
http://www.mantaind.com/services.htm
I put this link on your other thread, but I think the Manta reel may be a good place to start. the spool is released when you squeeze the handle. One hand.
You would want your bag pre rigged of course to the reel.
My thought would be use a small orally inflated DSMB like the Halcyon 3'. I like it because you can get neutral (with lungs full) at 30 ft and all you do is transfer 1 breath to inflate the thing fully when it hits the surface. I think you might be able to manage it all with 1 hand. The nice thing about the small bag and one breath thing, you can take your time while staying neutral and hold the bag until you are situated (a 2nd stage back in yiur mouth etc)and ready to deploy it.
I have made a mess of things on several occasions shooting bigger bags. The little Halcyon bag is real easy.

Edit:another thought. In the UK they use DSMB with their own litle compressed air cylinders attached. That could be an option too.

Yeah, I'll just have an issue with winding it back up.

Edit response: My dive buddy was going to invent that! Dang it, someone beat us!

Michael

do it easy:
The problem with a reel is that it would be harder to wind up during the ascent.

I think a pre-rigged spool would be the way to go- once the bag starts going, you can let it go and it will unroll right in front on you (unless it jams, then it rides the bag to the top. If you're lucky it will come back down).

If you had a cuff dump in your drysuit, you might be able to dump air in to the bag from your suit and stay neutral until you release the bag. Or use an open bottom or baffled bag so you can use your exhaust bubbles (just be sure to keep it neat so you don't get tangled). Or you coiuld use a LP hose and an inflator to really fill it fast.

Also a tiny puff of air in the bag keeps things organized while you are getting every things ready. It keeps the up part up and the down part down.

Good luck and let us know how it goes in the pool.

I've been playing with the spool and I could deploy it, if I can figure out how to safely and let the spool line out by keeping tension between my thumb and middle finger. I can hold the spool, with clip on it, up in the air and let it drop toward the ground and on the same note, slowly mind you, I can "reel" the line back in. I may need to try it with a glove too.

I don't and probably will not dive with a dry suit for awhile. I was thinking that I could hold the spool between my left cheek and left shoulder and put the baffle of the SMB over my exhaust valves on my reg and that might send it to the surface. Hopefully I can grab the spool quick enough to not drop it or watch it fly to the surface with the bag.

I'll keep everyone posted, thanks.

Michael

rhlee:
I think teh actual inflating part is not difficult to do one handed, but the surrounding parts will be. Thinking through this step by step, assuming a start with a pre-loaded bag,

1) retrieve bag from pocket (OK)
2) close pocket (probably ok, you can probably do this while holding the bag/spool with your other fingers)
3) unclip double-ender and clip it to chest d-ring (hrm, not sure about this one. perhaps if you do this fast enough, your bag/spool will just float and you can retrieve it. I think my bag is very very close to neutral, but I think my spool is negative)
4) unroll the bag (probably this can be done one-handed with sufficient practice)
5) lookup up (no problem)
6) inflate bag
so here, you have like 3 options I think. The bag that I have has a oral inflate only. I think this will be tough to do, because you won't be able to easily replace your reg (or, at least, I rely on two hands to do it; one to hold the bag, adn the other to remove/replace the reg). Halcyon makes a bag that you can inflate with your drysuit/LP inflator hose. With that, you could probably do it one handed, but I'm not sure; I've never used one that way. With an OC bag, you can probably use your exhalation bubbles to inflate the bag which would avoid the need to remove/replace the reg. I've seen people do this and it looks pretty slick.

7) verify the knot (I like to unroll about a foot of the line and verify again that it is knotted properly and clear of entanglements. Perhaps this is optional)
8) let'er rip.

I'm not sure how you would real it up on the way up though.

good luck with this; I'd be curious to hear back on your efforts.

Sounds about right.

I'll be diving a BP/W so I will have my SMB/spool clipped top my butt d-ring. (I think that's right.) From there I should be able to hold my spool between my left arm/face cheek and get my reg to fill the SMB with the exhaust.

On the way up, as I stated earlier, I can slowly reel it back up with my one hand, since there are no handles and it's just the plastic spool.

I'll keep you all updated and again I appreciate the suggetions.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom