SMB deployment....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had such a great return of feedback from my last post I wanted to see if I could get another question answered.

You're totally ruining our reputation for being belligerent and unhelpful.

I was going to post a serious reply, but you pretty much got everything answered. I keep mine pre-rigged in the left pocket as well (even if I'm just doing a drill, that's how I do it in real life, so that's how I drill.) I also have a larger 6' SMB on my BP that only comes along for safety reasons. I keep a spool in my right pocket for that.

For deco dives or times when you might need to use the spool to search for something (the wreck, lost buddy, etc) most people just bring an extra spool.

Just curious what does the safety spool benefit you on a deco dive?

Tom

Just curious what does the safety spool benefit you on a deco dive?

Spools are often used to look for wrecks here. Esp. in Lake Washington where the shot line might be 4ft away and you can't see the plane or boat in the murk.

Regarding a safety spool...
When you've lost your buddy at 200ft how are you planning on looking for each other? They may have toxed, swam into the wreck inadventently, or been incapacitated in some other way. (all three have happened). You need a tool to coordinate your search. A spool tied off on the bottom at least allows you so sweep around in a rough circle, or go into the wreck/silt cloud you think they swam into. If you only have one spool and you have to leave it behind, you now won't have any way to shoot a bag. And if you didn't find them (maybe they ascended) you are now alone in midwater and even the boat doesn't know you're out there.

On my big dives (170+ft in current or exposed sites) the team typically has a reel, I have a 150ft spool on my big 4.5ft SMB (to account for scope), and I have a smaller 100ft spool as a backup/safety. I don't really dive sites in the Gulf Stream where I would want to shoot a bag from the wreck with a reel.

On smaller no-current wreck dives (~150ft) but still with deco, I will substitute a 3ft SMB and pre-rig it with a smaller 100ft spool. And still bring a 2nd spool as a spare.

Vis is usually good enough that you won't bring a reel on every deepish dive? In the NE we always jumped in with at least one reel per team. If you didn't, 1/4 dives would have been a waste (at some sites it seemed we always tied in). Still getting used to the better vis here in CA, but so far, I've still brought along a reel for all deeper boat dives. Much easier trying to find a wreck (and I assume lost buddy, too) using a reel than a spool. As in your case, we shoot markers on spools.
Spools are often used to look for wrecks here. Esp. in Lake Washington where the shot line might be 4ft away and you can't see the plane or boat in the murk.

Regarding a safety spool...
When you've lost your buddy at 200ft how are you planning on looking for each other? They may have toxed, swam into the wreck inadventently, or been incapacitated in some other way. (all three have happened). You need a tool to coordinate your search. A spool tied off on the bottom at least allows you so sweep around in a rough circle, or go into the wreck/silt cloud you think they swam into. If you only have one spool and you have to leave it behind, you now won't have any way to shoot a bag. And if you didn't find them (maybe they ascended) you are now alone in midwater and even the boat doesn't know you're out there.

On my big dives (170+ft in current or exposed sites) the team typically has a reel, I have a 150ft spool on my big 4.5ft SMB (to account for scope), and I have a smaller 100ft spool as a backup/safety. I don't really dive sites in the Gulf Stream where I would want to shoot a bag from the wreck with a reel.

On smaller no-current wreck dives (~150ft) but still with deco, I will substitute a 3ft SMB and pre-rig it with a smaller 100ft spool. And still bring a 2nd spool as a spare.

I don't bring a reel on every deepish dive. Most (85%?) but not all, sorta depends on definaition of deepish too. That has changed over the years. :)

Some of our Lake WA wrecks you need to be pretty close to to find at all. (There's no current there.) If the shot line is more than 25ft away its pretty pointless to even look (of course you don't realize this until you ascend without ever finding it). A spool is easier to clip off + drape over the wreck and not damage it too. The planes in particular are quite fragile.

I like pre-rigging my SMB (less to drop), but the spare spool has come in handy enough times that I want one along too. Usually I know I'll need to use it (somehow/someway) on the surface or as we descend, less common is having to deploy it at depth - I think that's happened once.

mike the exchange of ideas and tec are great between divers and as a rule i welcome it but a SMB it a tool that can get you hurt so please read all the threads and enjoy the suggestions but please take a class .All it takes is getting fouled in the line holding your breath for only a second or two and your hurt . so for your safety deploy that smb under direct supervision of a qualified inst ill bet you learn more that the class cost just my position dive safe and be happy

Shooting a SMB or lift bag can be a very dangerous and/or deadly experience, as others have stated. Make sure to check for any overhead obstructions and always keep the line away from yourself. Be ready to let go of the spool/reel the very instant that it fouls up, no sense in letting it shoot you up too.

Any ocean dive will find me with 3 spool/reels and 3 SMB/lift bags. I will always have a backup in the event of a line foul etc. Plus I carry a different color one for an emergency notification to the boat crew.

I keep my gear configured the same for almost any dive. This way it is not being changed constantly and helps to keep me from forgetting a piece of gear.

So reading this thread brings up something I have been wondering about. Now's as good a time to ask as any I suppose.

A buddy of mine and I are going to try and find this super secret ferry in this super secret lake. Of course the "Officials" know where it is, but they won't tell.:shakehead:

All of the search dives will be from shore. (Thank goodness we just got scoots :D) The boat is suspected to be in the bottom of a valley at a potential bottom depth of 180-190ffw. If, I mean when we find it we want to mark it with gps. The easiest way would be to shoot a surface marker, tie it off and ascend. But I have never shot a bag using a reel. I have a 400 ft H reel. I think I'm gonna get out and practice shooting with this.

Anything I need to know?

Hunter

Last edited:
Anything I need to know?

Hunter

Loosen the screw. Use your thumb to add some drag to the unspooling reel. If you sense it's about to nest, release it immediately. Practice shallow. That's my advice based on LIMITED experience using a reel to shoot bags.

You're totally ruining our reputation for being belligerent and unhelpful.

Hold on. I haven't replied yet.

And for the OP, add another vote for pre-rigged spool and SMB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom