Smart phone apps (applications for the dinosaurs like me)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeputyDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So having been drug into the 20th (or is it the 21st century) by my kids - I now have a smart phone that uses apps.

I have actually figured out the twitter thing and like the app - ShopSavvy (lets you scan bar codes in the store to compare prices to other stores.

So my question to the peanut gallery is.... What are your favorite apps?

I use Tidegraph, IScubaPlan and Scuba Check. I also like Topo Maps, but that is not really scuba oriented. I also have Knot Guide which has most of the knots you'll ever need. RadarScope is good, shows all the weather radar in the US.

There are lots of others, but I find I use these the most.

Have fun

Great question!
As one who travels frequently, TripTracker allows consolidation of flights, cars and hotel reservations. Updates are automatic appearing whenever I book travel (based on FF#). Eventually I hope to be able to present my smartphone confirm/barcode as a boarding pass.
ESPN Sports Center - set up favorite teams to have schedules and scoring updates automatically pushed.
Yelp provides info on nearby ammenities - shopping, dining, lodging, banking - plus online offers and discounts.
For entertainment Bookworm, Scramble CE and Words Free can pretend to be educational. The Idiot Test is just fun.

Card star or Key ring are good for keeping discount card barcodes.
Watchdog lite is good for maintaining battery life.
My book droid scans books into your library inventory.
Movie phone gives movie times and theaters near your location.
google sky is fun. it shows the night sky.

ESPN Sports Center - set up favorite teams to have schedules and scoring updates automatically pushed.

:thumb:Another big fan of the Sports Center Ap.

The Weather Channel app is excellent and I get a lot of use out of Around Me when I travel, Around Me is a free app that uses GPS to determine your location and find nearby stores, restaurants, banks, etc. It's very helpful when in unfamiliar areas. Bing is an app that has a lot of cool features too.

cardstar is good to keep all your points cards in your wallet
tapatalk so I can access SB anywhere :D
My canucks app (choose your favorite team)
Sportsnet
My PVR app
Flixter is a great movie app. You can add your favorite theaters
BC HWY Multicam. Gives me all hwy cameras for travel (Look for your local area)
BC FERRIES- Good for VI Diving
YELP. always being updated and added to.
ZOOM. For when I forget my reading glasses at home and need to read a menu or something. The zoom on camera works for that now as well
Itranslate For travel (one of many)
karmasutra- For those must have moments :D
SCR calc. Have yet to use it
convertbot - great conversion app
Birthday calender - never miss another b'day

There is gasbuddy to find cheap gas.
My bookmarks, transfer your pc internet bookmarks to your phone.
OI safe. Password keeper.
Various insurance companies have apps for reporting accidents and contacting them.
Where's my droid. Phone locator.
Compass.
Bump. Exchanges info.
Amazon Kindle.
IMDB.
My cars.

I am still in the 20th Century.

I have been using a Palm for over 10 years and do not know how I will get my data to some new OS. I really have no interest in change. But may have to since it is not supported anymore.

I was going to get my daughter IPhone. Maybe I will learn from her.

Has anyone heard anything about this anti-mosquito app? Wonder if it works at all. If it doesn't, they've covered themselves well.
"Anti Mosquito produces a sound in the range of 16 KHz to 20 KHz. We cannot hear the sound since it is beyond the audio range of humans.

However, mosquitoes can hear it and will fly away from the source of the sound. Note : results may vary."
BlackBerry App World - AntiMosquito

Has anyone heard anything about this anti-mosquito app? Wonder if it works at all. If it doesn't, they've covered themselves well.
"Anti Mosquito produces a sound in the range of 16 KHz to 20 KHz. We cannot hear the sound since it is beyond the audio range of humans.

However, mosquitoes can hear it and will fly away from the source of the sound. Note : results may vary."
BlackBerry App World - AntiMosquito

I can hear all frequencies on it, and it gives me a headache. Not sure about effectiveness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom