Small waterproof case for car key fob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use one of these to completely discombobulate the fob, the key, and the thief.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7iKuEwNeASfP-JMXE_xTAjKXeFTK54HTogFbT2fig0NBCcTFa.jpg

Scubapro Egg is working great. Not a drop in a bunch of dives.

Scubapro Egg is working great. Not a drop in a bunch of dives.

How deep did you take it?

According to its Amazon listing, that's only rated to 15 feet :-(

How deep did you take it?

According to its Amazon listing, that's only rated to 15 feet :-(

Before I left home I pot tested it overnight at over 150'. Here in Mexico I have taken it to over 100 with no issues. I believe that unless the o-rings are compromised it is good for all rec depths.

check out DRYFOB too of course :)

Sadly that wouldn't work with my car. My car detects my key fob, so even if I left it in my trunk, my car wouldn't stay locked, you could walk up to it and touch the door handle and the doors would unlock.

You can get a soft pouch that’s basically a faraday cage with metal woven in it. Like this one attached. Works beautifully - my car won’t unlock even with the flap open when I am standing right at the door. Use it to store the fob inside the car and carry the metal key on a keyring clipped to a D-Ring of your BCD or inside a dive torch. (Do keys rust in salt water?)

Cost less than $10 in my country.

Attachments

• IMG_7674.jpeg
    IMG_7674.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 36
I also take a metal key diving to open the door. My FOB is in an RFID pouch inside the truck. My FOB for the Toyota 4Runner can also be turned off by holding down the lock button and pushing the unlock button twice.

Cheap solution - take the non-electronic physical key on the dive, leave the electronic FOB in a vaccuum stainless steel coffee cup on the center console. (this is what I do)
Expensive solution - DRYFOB

Cheap solution - take the non-electronic physical key on the dive, leave the electronic FOB in a vaccuum stainless steel coffee cup on the center console. (this is what I do)
Expensive solution - DRYFOB
And here I was just wrapping it in tinfoil, lol. I should have thought of a steel coffee cup...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom