Small waterproof case for car key fob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my experience, ALL the Witz boxes leak sooner or later. The Otter boxes (no longer available, I think) and Pelican boxes are better, but still not totally reliable. Best of all is an old u/w light case, especially one with 2 o-rings. Those that held 4 c-cells (like the Ikelite) can have the bulb assembly removed and are very robust and reliable, and plenty big enough for keys, cards, money, and a small phone. The Ikelite also has a nice metal belt clip on it.

I must've got a good one since mine hasn't leaked a drop in over a decade - same one. And I'm pretty hard on it, I often wear it around my neck during the entire day of diving. It's the $6.95 model. It's the real thin one though and I grease the o-ring annually. Might be too thin for some fobs.

Or there's this: Diver Locator Satellite PLB Canister from HDVSEATEK. A little expensive at $95 but not when you have to replace the key more than once.

EPOD.jpg

i just thinking abt PVC pipe fitting. your key should be around 1.5 inch width so you can use 1, 3/4 inch pipe thread fitting. put one end with round cap and another end with thread connector. It will be a strong bottle which you can bring it with u underwater.
3aa1c742-ea53-4c97-a145-5a00b025abd0_145.jpg
77e0cdaf-18d1-43bf-a7a2-699cd195bb9f_145.jpg
7bcfbdab-654a-4480-8551-6f3dc099edf1_145.jpg

I must've got a good one since mine hasn't leaked a drop in over a decade - same one. And I'm pretty hard on it, I often wear it around my neck during the entire day of diving. It's the $6.95 model. It's the real thin one though and I grease the o-ring annually. Might be too thin for some fobs.

Or there's this: Diver Locator Satellite PLB Canister from HDVSEATEK. A little expensive at $95 but not when you have to replace the key more than once.

View attachment 220690

I have that case. Its enormous. Really big. And bloody expensive. Great for a beacon-way too big for a key.

I use an old strobe case with a little bit of lead epoxied into the bottom to make it negative.

i just thinking abt PVC pipe fitting. your key should be around 1.5 inch width so you can use 1, 3/4 inch pipe thread fitting. put one end with round cap and another end with thread connector. It will be a strong bottle which you can bring it with u underwater.
3aa1c742-ea53-4c97-a145-5a00b025abd0_145.jpg
77e0cdaf-18d1-43bf-a7a2-699cd195bb9f_145.jpg
7bcfbdab-654a-4480-8551-6f3dc099edf1_145.jpg
You will probably find the threads leak unless you tighten it with 2 pipe wrenches. O-rings are better. than tapered threads for not leaking.

I have a similar problem. The solution I've come up with is a lock-box like this one. I just remove the key fob battery before putting it all in the lock box and shackling it to a door handle (usually with a towel over it to at least sort of hide the whole mess from tempted parties). Seems to work OK so far. You can always shackle it to someplace else more discrete if your car/truck allows it.

Loksaks didn't work for me. Leaked

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom