Small waterproof case for car key fob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just going to point out that, for those of you who can't use a hitch lock because the car detects the presence of the fob, if you wrap the key and fob in aluminum foil the car can't sense it until you take the foil off.

I would try one of those new cell phone waterproof dry bags. Available everywhere. The cadillac is Dry Case but lots of them around for $15.00. I took one to Bonaire and used it to hold my car key (remote), credit card, and some cash (lots of petty theft and you cannot leave anything in the car). I worked faultlessly. It had a neck strap and just hung under my wetsuit and I did not even know it was there.. It is rated to 100' and some are rated deeper.. I did some dives to 70' and not a drop came in.

Chiming on to an old thread...

I tried one of those cellphone bag things. Leaked badly at just 30 feet. Luckily I was paranoid so had wrapped my keys in multiple layers of ziplock, which was enough to keep it dry - but I'm not comfortable relying on that for the future.

My car has no way to lock using a non-electronic fob. Grrr for technology 'improvements' making things that used to be simple harder!

Dive light casing it is then. Anyone got an old one lying around unused? :) It's crazy that nobody seems to manufacture a cheaper yet reliable waterproof container!

I dont know what yo are driving, but let me ask a couple of ?s. can yo afford to have the case leak and ruin the fob? probably no. Second can yo unlock any door or trunk with a key or only a fob. If you can open with a key then lock the fob in the car and get a key cut for the door and take that with yo on the dive and yo dont have to worry about a leaky case. If it absolutely needs teh fob to opwn the door then you have to take the risk and use some of the other suggestions.

It's a Chevy Volt, which tries to be too smart for it's own good. There is a mechanical door unlock, but you can't purchase non-fob keys, so it's $100 to get a spare even if I plan on immediately flooding that and destroying the electronics. Worse, you can't lock the fob inside the car because it notices you made a 'mistake' and automatically fixes that for you by unlocking itself! Grrr.

I think I have to just do the best I can to waterproof it, and take that risk.

I dont know what yo are driving, but let me ask a couple of ?s. can yo afford to have the case leak and ruin the fob? probably no. Second can yo unlock any door or trunk with a key or only a fob. If you can open with a key then lock the fob in the car and get a key cut for the door and take that with yo on the dive and yo dont have to worry about a leaky case. If it absolutely needs teh fob to opwn the door then you have to take the risk and use some of the other suggestions.
My car car (Lexus) ‘knows’ the key is inside and immediately unlocks, if its in the boot the lid opens.

My car car (Lexus) ‘knows’ the key is inside and immediately unlocks, if its in the boot the lid opens.
Ok mine only needs the bob to start the car or perhaps to disable the alarm but not the doors. My trunk has no key slot.

If you use a small flashlight without its batteries be sure to weight it in order to prevent it from leaving your pocket and heading straight for the surface.

GoPro housing is a good idea. I may actually already have a spare one of those lying around!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom