Small Steel Doubles vs. Single Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heavy little tanks. They were used mostly by dry suit divers. Also, Aga Divator had an exclusive with the old Australian TV drama, "Water Rats" depicting daring do of the Sidney Water Police.

The "smoothness" of Coffee Mate comes from the additive sodium-silico-aluminate. The stuff is used in other apps as well. Some dessicants used in filtration systems contain aluminum; particularly, sodiumalumino silicate (zeolite).

Which is why I put cream in my morning coffee and not that white powered crap. :wink:

I use a set of steel LP 45's for beach dives. I love 'em. The only problem I've run into is that I can't find an isolator that short. So I dive them with an open crossbar. I wouldn't take them into a technical scenario like that, but for shallow beach dives they're great.

Happy diving...

I was just wondering where everyone got bands and isolators for doubled 45s. I'd love to try a set...

Double shorties were supplied with various vintage manifolds, US Divers, Dacor, Scubapro. The tanks are 6.8 diameter and the manifold spacing is the same as any of the larger double 72's of the day, 8.25 inches on centers. Tank pressures and capacities vary with vintage. Originally, 1800+ and 38 cf. The Dacors were 2250 + with 48 cf.

I was just wondering where everyone got bands and isolators for doubled 45s. I'd love to try a set...

My 45's use a standard manifold, and I purchased bands from Victor, known as "detroit mudpuppy" here on Scubaboard. Extremely high quality product.

Dive Rite and OMS make a narrow mainfold and bands specially for the Faber 45's and 50's. The Dive Rite has an isolator and the OMS is just a straight cross bar with no valve. Like Jimmer, I and another friend of mine went with a standard width manifold and Victors bands. The manifold can always be used with other tanks, and the bands are easier to sell if you would decide to split them up in the future.

Thermo also makes a shorter crossover without isolator and ScubaPro used to make a shorter isolator. Faber (probably San-O-Sub) makes very short crossovers too. Personally, I slightly prefer non-isolator crossovers. Usually I only use an isolator on ONE arm of my triples.

It's quite easy to machine a short non-isolated crossover.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom