Small incident, but wondering....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
yikes... not sure how i missed your repsonse so long...

anyways... you are assuming a flat or near-flat sea, which
is about the only way a boat can see a sausage floating
on the surface... maybe

i was assuming the conditions we usually get around Jax
(at least 2-4 seas), and unless that sausage is vertical,
it ain't going to be seen...

which goes to show you, never assume anything :wink:

If you deploy your sausage from depth, it will definitely stand vertical at the surface, if only because the air you have put into it will expand. In fact, it will be easier than filling it at the surface.

I just held the thing in the air; that seemed to work, at least when I was on the top of a wave and not in the trough. It wouldn't have stayed vertical by itself. If I'd been out there too much longer I would have figured out a way to attach it to my tanks or BC, I think.

I was also glad to see that my Ladyhawk back-inflate BC did just fine at helping me keep afloat without jamming my face in the water. I'd been warned by a LDS that it would do so.

The dive op decided not to charge me for the dive or for the cancellation fee. It just took several rounds of emails, the last one from them was fairly ugly. Sigh.

I do hope they learn from it, whatever their rhetoric to cover their derrieres. I know I have!

love2godeep:
I just held the thing in the air; that seemed to work, at least when I was on the top of a wave and not in the trough. It wouldn't have stayed vertical by itself. If I'd been out there too much longer I would have figured out a way to attach it to my tanks or BC, I think.

Just for future reference, here is how to deploy a safety sausage from depth (many variations on this theme exist):

- Attach anywhere from 10 to 30 ft of line to the sausage; I prefer 30, so I can deploy from any deco stop.

- Weigh the end of the line with a carabiner or a small weight (1/2 lb or so)

- Roll the line around the sausage, and put the whole thing in a small pouch; making a loop lear the sausage end of the line and hooking the carabiner also works. You just want a tight package that will not unroll spontaneously, and that you can strap to your BC.

- When ready to deploy (i.e. you are at your deco stop), unroll the line so that the weight falls away from you, and keep a firm grip on the sausage.

- When the line is unrolled, check to make sure it isn't tangled to any part of your equipment (fins are a favorite), open the bottom end of the sausage and blast some air from your reg (primary or octopus) into it. Keep the line in a loop made by your index and thumb while doing this.

- Watch the sausage go to the surface while the line whizzes past your fingers. It will stand out vertically and clearly mark your position at the surface.

- Finish your deco stops, and ascend along the line you just deployed. When you get to the surface and you are sure the boat has seen you, roll up the sausage, and then the line around it.

Enjoy!

Victor J.

Diver0001 posted:

The ratios are max 8 students to 1 instructor so there's nothing to report there even if you don't agree.

There would be if these included divers were NOT students
and were diverting the instructors attentions simply because a captain promised there would be a DM for some newbies
to dive with.

Kevin Falconer Fort Myers, FL

Or a proper dsmb deployment, assuming reel is already attached, unravel the buoy, a tiny squirt of air to get the thing upright, make sure everyone and everything is clear then using either your octopus, buddies octopus, exhaust gas or some after auto inflate bottle give it a decent squirt of air.
Due to expansion at 10m/30ft you only need to 50% fill it for it to be full on the surface and continues down following the gas laws.

Once it starts to tug release reel ratchet or for those insisting on spools however you do that. Once you are sure its reached the surface (stopped winding) ratchet the reel and begin to wind in.

Not a difficult procedure and can be done from pretty much any depth providing you have enough line. Current recommendation is 1.25x the depth you'll be launching from to allow for currents.

vjongene:
Just for future reference, here is how to deploy a safety sausage from depth...
- When the line is unrolled, check to make sure it isn't tangled to any part of your equipment (fins are a favorite), open the bottom end of the sausage and blast some air from your reg (primary or octopus) into it. Keep the line in a loop made by your index and thumb while doing this.

Didn't you leave out a step? I was taught to put a little air in it at first to get it floating a bit, which puts a little upward tension on the line, and greatly enhances your ability to keep it away from you and concentrate on the line when you insert more air sending it to the surface...

Seems like you sent it up in one shot, which would be much more diffucult in my meanger experience with such things...

JAG

L2GD

I am a new diver and I pride myself on my calm nerves and not getting excited, but reading about your incident caused me concern, "what would I have done, if it was me ?" I want to "pat you on the back" for your response to the situation as I think you reacted properly. ( well done )

Bubblemaker

jagfish:
Didn't you leave out a step? I was taught to put a little air in it at first to get it floating a bit, which puts a little upward tension on the line, and greatly enhances your ability to keep it away from you and concentrate on the line when you insert more air sending it to the surface...

Seems like you sent it up in one shot, which would be much more diffucult in my meanger experience with such things...

JAG

As I said, there are many variations... Putting in a little air before giving it the big send-off sounds like a good idea. Never seen it done, though.

vjongene:
As I said, there are many variations... Putting in a little air before giving it the big send-off sounds like a good idea. Never seen it done, though.

*for me*
It was more than a good idea, it was essential. I think it is also illustrated that way in any books and websites I have seen...

JAG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom