Small incident, but wondering....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
The ratios are max 8 students to 1 instructor so there's nothing to report there even if you don't agree.
:11: frightening!
Nevertheless, is it allow to mix AOW student and novices for a deep diving?

Bretagne:
:11: frightening!
Nevertheless, is it allow to mix AOW student and novices for a deep diving?

I don't quite understand the question. What is a novice to you?

R..

Did you find out whether she was a DM or an instructor? I *definitely* wouldn't want to pay for that. You only get your advanced certification once, get some value out of it! I still regret my AOW, it was definitely under par, but sure I didn't know any better at the time.

Diver0001:
I don't quite understand the question. What is a novice to you?

love2godeep:
The divemaster, 2 fairly experienced divers, 2 newbies and yours truly. One of the newbies got her cert a year ago and hasn't dived since her check-out dive.
May be novice is not the proper word, but English is not my mother-tongue.

I do not suppose the others were there for lessons?

Bretagne:
May be novice is not the proper word, but English is not my mother-tongue.

I do not suppose the others were there for lessons?

Ah. Now I understand. Yes. you can combine these things, although I don't know why you would want to. I think in the PADI system (someone correct me if I'm wrong) all the non-pro divers in the group count as students for the standards. In your case you had 2 experienced divers, 2 novice divers and yourself. That would count for 5 of the 8 that the instructor is allowed assuming it was a teaching dive, even if not everyone diving is taking the course.

R..

Just read and caught up with this thread, disaster from start to finish with most people making some mistakes and it cascades from there.

80ft i guess is around 25m.

Depending how long id been down and so on in the event of buddy separation id debate whether it was worth doing a safety stop or not, personally id usually opt for not doing it or at the very most doing 1 minute instead of the 3 (im assuming no deco obligation here).

A lot depends on the nature of the separation, if you suspect your buddy has a problem or is in difficulty and that caused the separation your goal really is to get to them as soon as possible. If its just low vis separation with no obvious problems, you still want to get up but its not quite as urgent so may do a stop depending on depth.

This weekend i had to dive as a 3 (which i absolutely hate), visibility was less than 6 inches and total blackness. We got separated from the 3rd person during the descent, the reason was obvious (low vis) no problems suspected so the remaining 2 of us deployed the dsmb and surfaced. We found him surfaced under his buoy 5ft away. 2 people could have continued that dive holding onto kit but not as a 3.

You have to make the call as to when to ascend and what stops to do based on the conditions surrounding the separation. There are no hard and fast rules.

Again it seems there is a lot to be said for the standard diving method over here in that every diver (not pair, diver) carries a delayed surface marker buoy and reel (or rarer, spool). This is sent up from depth as soon as separation occurs meaning it appears nearer the boat and earlier giving it more chance to see and follow you. That also means you can do any deco or safety stops knowing the boat can already see your marker and if the other pairs have surfaced they KNOW the other diver is ok and on the way up.

SueMermaid:
I would hope she would have learned from the scare she had, but I have doubts about that.
In a dream I once had, a DM/Instructor said:
"Gee, I was less than perfect on that dive. I made some errors, could have done some things differently and have learned from my mistakes."
Then I woke up.

I have never done a resort course. From what I've read, it would always seem wiser to find an LDS you respect and already have a relationship with, take the course, then go on vacation and enjoy the fruits of your class. This would seem to be better than gamboling your vacation time & dives on some unknown dive op.
BTW, LTGD, who was the dive op? You might help someone else avoid the same situation.

This has been a log thread and I'm sure you're tired of it, so I won't comment on the instructor or the incident, except to say that if your computer wants you to do a stop, you should probably do it.

It's spent it's entire time in the water doing nothing except calculating how much gas is in your tank and how much gas is in you, and it generally has a pretty good idea of if you need a stop or not.

Terry

love2godeep:
My computer wanted me to do a safety stop, which I did at 17 feet.

String:
...snip...

Again it seems there is a lot to be said for the standard diving method over here in that every diver (not pair, diver) carries a delayed surface marker buoy and reel (or rarer, spool). This is sent up from depth as soon as separation occurs meaning it appears nearer the boat and earlier giving it more chance to see and follow you. That also means you can do any deco or safety stops knowing the boat can already see your marker and if the other pairs have surfaced they KNOW the other diver is ok and on the way up.

I'm in favour of your suggestion too but I would submit that carrying a dsmb in this case would have been dealing with the symptoms instead of the problems. Dealing with the disease would have taken something else (hint not gear) as the dive was starting to go wrong before anyone even got wet.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom