Small incident, but wondering....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaoren:
Good luck with your future dive training.
And yes, this board is fun and you can even learn something from time to time :wink:

I would report them to PADI and then refer them to this thread for their investigation if the shop tries to deny it or if they say you fabricated the story.

I am not an instructor, but I have several very close friends who are. There were several standards violations here and your life was put in danger, not to mention that you didn't get what you were paying for. (glad you ended up getting your money back)

I am a little relieved to hear that she was in fact an instructor and not a divemaster, but appalled at the same time that she calls herself an instructor.

Report the operation and the instructor. If they did this with you, I am sure they have done it to others and they need to be reprimanded at minimum for their actions. Maybe they all need to take a standards review class as well.

It's really interesting that some of the best lessons are unexpected and weren't asked for,

Even if the author signed up for an AOW (deep, etc.) class, the lesson ended up being on personal safety and how to tell when your life is in danger, which IMO is a much more valuable lesson, that the requested one.

Terry

Uncle Pug:
... is the instructor of circumstance, times 10.... times 100 if in a restort location. :shakeshead:

Glad you survived... you did fine... hope you learned the lesson.

<edit: I resonded before reading all the rest of the responses... and at your last post above I see you did indeed learn the lesson and chose not to finish the *course* with yet another IoC.

You will do well. :D

As a diver on the same trip, what is the correct protocol on a group dive? In this instance buddies were not assigned rather the entire boat of six dived as a "group." We were instructed to stay together.

When one diver couldn't make it down due to ear problems the remainder of the group waited on the bottom. The divemaster did not go down with the larger group.

We knew something was wrong as the DM/guide did not arrive but we thought she stayed with the author.

Since it was a drift dive and the captain was following our bubbles, it was best for the group to stay together.

After waiting at the botton for a short period of time the DM came down and aborted the dive.

DiverEdd:
As a diver on the same trip, what is the correct protocol on a group dive? In this instance buddies were not assigned rather the entire boat of six dived as a "group." We were instructed to stay together.

When one diver couldn't make it down due to ear problems the remainder of the group waited on the bottom. The divemaster did not go down with the larger group.

We knew something was wrong as the DM/guide did not arrive but we thought she stayed with the author.

Since it was a drift dive and the captain was following our bubbles, it was best for the group to stay together.

After waiting at the botton for a short period of time the DM came down and aborted the dive.

Hi, Ed! Thanks for your perspective! I didn't realize she wasn't with you, either! No wonder she was so agitated!

I didn't realize that no one had been assigned buddies. I thought it was just me.

I did make it down... it was just slower than usual. I was watching the rest of you the whole way down; it was just at the end that suddenly everyone disappeared. I was sure I'd find you, but didn't.

I think part of the problem was my wetsuit "layering"--great in theory, but maybe not such a good idea in practice. (A 3mm shortie over a 1mm microprene wetsuit over a dive skin, to make it easier to put on the wet suit.) It probably trapped some air, and I had to go down head first, but that made it harder to clear my ears. I kept dumping water into my wet suit, but it just took a while. I think I'll have to spring for one of those Gold Cores, like yours.

Man! I was sorry to have to go right back up; it had been such hard work to get down there.

I think you ended up being the DM for a good share of that dive! Good thing you were there!

By the way, Ed has a totally awesome gear configuration!!

Please post the name of this dive outfit. This will enable people to avoid diving with them. Also put a link to this thread in the Locations section for Hawaii.

Glad it all turned out well.

The main thing now should be to prevent this happening to others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom