Small incident, but wondering....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vjongene:
If you deploy your sausage from depth, it will definitely stand vertical at the surface, if only because the air you have put into it will expand. In fact, it will be easier than filling it at the surface.

the air expanding part makes sense,
of course... i guess i'm just having a hard time believing
that it will stand up straight at the surface by itself

won't the wind just lay it flat until you get to the surface
and hold it up? i just don't see how it's going to balance
up straight by itself

well.. i guess i have an experiment to try out now. but i
must say, i really don't think this works.

H2Andy:
up straight by itself

I'd have to agree (geez, that's scary in itself). Unless there was a weight or line attached to the bottom, it's gonna lay over unless held.

MD

H2Andy:

up straight by itself

well.. i guess i have an experiment to try out now. but i
must say, i really don't think this works.

Just keep some tension on the line.

well... you learn something new every day

MechDiver, see what you get for agreeing with me?

love2godeep:
I was near the bottom, but it sloped down and I could have gone quite a bit deeper.

The divemaster was supposed to be my instructor. (She had been on previous dives.) She also had the other four people to look after, and of course could not do much with me.

For the record, I did speak with the dive op; told them I had been promised a private instructor, and that the deep dive had not been anywhere near what PADI requires. First response: "What did you expect? That we would take you out all by yourself on the boat?"

argggh! But I explained that I expected to have a private dive instructor, with someone else to take out the rest of the divers.

They agreed to take me out again, no extra charge. And this time to do the deep dive properly.

Shall I go????

You know what? PADI actually takes this kind of stuff pretty seriously (believe it or not my fellow SB fans). I would call PADI and file a complaint, if you don't expect to dive with these folks again.

i guess your short-term memory is under a lot of stress :wink:

look at post 82

H2Andy:

It won't. Ever fly kites as a kid?

R..

MechDiver:
I'd have to agree (geez, that's scary in itself). Unless there was a weight or line attached to the bottom, it's gonna lay over unless held.

MD
Usually, you are the weight.

I have never (yet) seen a safety saussage used otherwise. Always sent from depth, and alwaus stayed vertical.

But to send it from depth requires a little bit of training (not to get tangled in the line, and to keep your buoyancy while you send it).
I usually send it shortly before the safety stop, but there are various possibilities depending of the line length.

Back
Top Bottom