Small 4000-4500 psi Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

350xfire

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a certified tech and I am looking for an affordable compressor that can fill tanks at home. Doesn't have to be large since I may do 5-10 regs a week. Has anyone found something affordable? I see some of those $300-400 paint ball compressors out there that seem to be adequate. Some oilless too. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm tired of running out of air and having to go to the shop to fill tanks.
Thanks

This is hard to answer because how do define affordable?

I really like my Alkin W31 ~4.5 CFM ran about 5K. I saved for many years so it was affordable.

Bauer Junior 2.... Around $6k all in with tax and freight...

5-10 tanks a week? That's going to take more than a little paintball compressor.

My biggest hang up with a compressor isn't the compressor itself, it is a decent filter stack that goes with it.

I have one of the paint ball-air rifle compressors for my fleet of air rifles. They work fine, most of them anyways. But they are not suitable for filling a SCUBA tank. Their output is too little and the duty cycle too short for such work. And, they are not designed for breathing air so I would worry about CO. Right tool for air rifles, wrong tool for SCUBA tanks IMO.

James

5-10 tanks a week? That's going to take more than a little paintball compressor.

My biggest hang up with a compressor isn't the compressor itself, it is a decent filter stack that goes with it.
If you read his post, he is repairing 5-10 regulators a week and not filling 5-10 tanks a week. Personally, I'd choose a Bauer, either new or a used one in good condition. Since he is servicing scuba regulators, the filtration must be producing Grade E air. I'd be questioning the air quality of a paintball or air rifle charging compressor.

Thanks. I was thinking less than $1k. And yes, 5-10 Regs a week not tanks.

If you are just using this for rebuilding regs, I would just keep a couple of large high capacity scuba tanks around. One at low pressure and one at high pressure. Get them filled a couple times a year. You don't use that much air doing checks/adjustments on a rebuild.

If you are just using this for rebuilding regs, I would just keep a couple of large high capacity scuba tanks around. One at low pressure and one at high pressure. Get them filled a couple times a year. You don't use that much air doing checks/adjustments on a rebuild.
I actually use quite a bit as I break every regulator in prior to sending back to the customer. It would just be nice to not have to deal with taking tanks to the shop and back. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom