SM Bungee Length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to use ring bungees and was never quite satisfied as the tanks ride too low.

I ended up using Edd Sorenson's "old school" kit on my nomad with loop bungees. That system also allows you to use a bolt snap on the neck of the tank. Edd just uses paracord or gold line to tie the snap to the neck, but I just used the same tank hardware I used with my ring bungees, just removing the choker. This lets you clip the neck bolt snap to a D-ring for both security in the event of a bungee failure during the dive and to carry the weight of the tank on the D-ring when out of the water. The loop however carries the tank in a much better position during the dive. Overall the system is cleaner and more effective than the ring bungee.

oldschool.jpg

Last edited:
Skank: How long is the bungee from the D Ring to the round ring? The only difference I can see between these and the DR ring bungees is your bungees may be shorter?

I hear you DA Aquamaster, but I like the ring bungee because it draws the valve back into my pits. There are other fine methods as well, but with the rings if you turn upside down, do a headstand.. whatever the clip is always right there on the ring and under my armpit.

I'm a Meg diver and have OTSC lungs so anything dangling from a ring around my lung is just in the way... and thats right where my ADV is located; If I slam my shoulder area with my hand looking for my ADV or cut-off I know a tank valve will not be in the way.

---------- Post Merged at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:28 AM ----------

DR bungees are sewn to webbing at the quick-link and after around 20-40 dives they usually pull from the stitching. DR had retooled their stitching to remedy this. DR will sew any length you want, but I just started making mine and carry a few backups.

DA: How long is the loop (from where it starts and where it ends) on the old school kit? I've currently got Ring Bungees on my new Hollis SMS 50 and am the process of making loop bungees for it so I can test out the difference.....trying to decided how long to make the loop on the first attempt. Thanks.

DA: How long is the loop (from where it starts and where it ends) on the old school kit? I've currently got Ring Bungees on my new Hollis SMS 50 and am the process of making loop bungees for it so I can test out the difference.....trying to decided how long to make the loop on the first attempt. Thanks.
The length of the loop itself is 10" from the knots to the end of the loop. And the webbing over the top of the wing is 7" long from the center line of the wing to the grommets, or about 17" total. Edd provides about 4" more bungee per side, so that would accommodate a total length of about 19".

---------- Post Merged at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:50 AM ----------

I hear you DA Aquamaster, but I like the ring bungee because it draws the valve back into my pits. There are other fine methods as well, but with the rings if you turn upside down, do a headstand.. whatever the clip is always right there on the ring and under my armpit.

I'm a Meg diver and have OTSC lungs so anything dangling from a ring around my lung is just in the way... and thats right where my ADV is located; If I slam my shoulder area with my hand looking for my ADV or cut-off I know a tank valve will not be in the way.

That's exactly why I did not like the ring bungees - they just would not carry the valves high enough or far enough back.

I also don't like a cluttered D-ring so the retainer for the bungee as well as the clip from the tank get clipped to the pivot ring on the Nomad harness, not the D-ring.

Lots of choices here I guess, but I like the rings.

Here is SEB and he makes his own bungees as well but uses another method. SEB attaches a big eye clip to his d-ring on a custom sized and sewn bungee with a quick link, but his tank clip is chocked and attached to the eye of the clip attached to his d-ring.

check out the perfect trim with his system:
SEB_bungee.JPG
[/URL][/IMG]

I don't think side mount configuration will ever standardize to the degree that back mount did, just because different approaches and tweaks seem to work better for different people.

As always awesome ideas all around.

DA Aquamaster, I am halfway to understanding your adaptation, but I would love to see the tank clipped into your system. I see what you are saying, I think, but I would like to see if I got your system right.

DA Aquamaster, I am halfway to understanding your adaptation, but I would love to see the tank clipped into your system. I see what you are saying, I think, but I would like to see if I got your system right.

Yea, I see you posted it in your earlier post. Kinda took a tangent, but what a great thread.

I'm on my way out the door for my two days a week in DC and don't have time to post a picture, but I can explain it pretty quickly.

The tank has shoulder and a tail bolt snaps just like a regular stage bottle. It's also just like a tank that is rigged for use with Dive Rite ring bungees - except it will not have the choker holding the end of the bolt snap to the tank valve.

The tail bolt snap clips to the towel bar, while bolt snap on the tank's shoulder is clipped to either the pivot ring or the shoulder D-ring (your preference). You then just pull the bungee loop over the valve knob on the tank to hold it in place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom