Slipped tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A loose tank can be unnerving it's happened to me a few times.
I know it sounds silly but when I first started I wasn't lacing it through the buckle corrrectly. I can still get it wrong by not tightening it correctly, and these days I grab the back pack try and work the bcd up and down on the cylinder to check that its nice and tight. Removing your equipment and putting it on again is a pool exercise thats part of our basic pool training.

When I first got my new BC the tank would slip out almost every time. The fact that I got the strap wet made no difference. I would strap it so tight that two raging bulls couldn’t pull the tank out, I would get in the water and it would slip out. It drove me crazy until I realized that the strap was stretching after I tightened it. I found that if I got the strap wet, strapped it tight, and waited about five minutes, it would stretch. Then if I re-tightened it would be fine. Now it seems the strap is stretched and it no longer loosens.

Mike

This just happened to me on my last dive...well not me, personally. We were down at 100' just below the lip of the wall, and a vaction diver, aparently lost his tank, which, being full, decided to sink, almost pulling his reg out of his mouth. The instructor wasn't looking (don't ask) so I had to sprint over before he sank into the abyss (plus I was on 32% and not keen on following him down). by the time I got there he was at 110', kicking frantically. I grabbed him, calmed him down, and fixed his strap. all the while, other vaction divers were looking at the pretty fish.

moral of the story: when you dive the first thing to think about is your safety and the safety of your group. although, this guy was so embarassed that he didn't make eye contact with me for the rest of the day.

brandon

I have to ask. The tank started to drag the diver down when it slipped out.

no. sorry, I was unclear. I guess he just lost bouyancy and started sinking.

brandon

I think that's what happen, he stopped finning. I call it shark swimming, stop finning and sink.
Happens to divers that are overweighted.

Thanks all. Since most people are saying it isn't that hard, I must just need more practice. I'll go and play in the pool.

Zept

Back
Top Bottom