Slipped tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zept

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone got any tips for sorting out a slipped tank underwater?

I have reattached my own tank on the bottom of the pool, but it was hard work and took me forever. At the weekend my buddy lost her tank and the divemaster had to fix it for her. I didn't feel I could help her myself. Not good enough, really, so I want to go and practise in the pool.

BTW, I know the tank shouldn't slip, and I know about wetting the band, etc. Clearly it does happen, though, and you can't just flail about on the bottom going, 'Um, it isn't supposed to do that.'

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Zept

Its not that difficult. To fix a buddy's tank. Just undo the band. Use your knee to shove the tank back up and then lock the band.

For your own, take off your BC and redo it more or less as normal.

I've only done this in the pool. Have not had it happen in OW but would be much the same I would guess, unless of course you are diving in a current or something.

Standing over your BC with the BC facing you. unweave the tank strap from the last slot. Holding the strap in your left hand and the buckle in your right you can "ratchet" the buckle a little and get a really tight fit. Then reweave the strap back through the slot holding tension on the strap and cam in down. Nice and tight, no more slipping tanks.

ID

in the pool, to show why you needed to be able to R&R your BC. After he showed them how he would do it, the first student to R&R the BC after him, pushed his tank out too. After twenty minutes later, the instructor stopped the class to make sure no one else would try... not enough air to have everyone do it. Too funny!

ymy, it didn't seem that easy when I tried it. Normally I need to lean on the strap to get it tight enough, and underwater I didn't have any weight to lean with.

ID, I normally ratchet and then weave, as you suggest (I also curse, because my grip strength is poor). However, the problem occurred after the boatman changed her tank. It was fine for one dive, they refilled the tank without removing her BC, and then it slipped on the next dive. I know, we should have checked it. No point saying that once the tank is loose, though. Since I dive with a bunch of different people and can't stand over them each time they assemble their gear, I want to know that I can deal with the problem if it occurs.

Z

This is why I like 2 tank bands on a BC!

Zept,

Oh sorry. I thought you were just concerned because you hadn't tried it before. I am not sure I have any tips, ... just practiced it a couple of times.

We always get our buddy to fix it, though I have taken off my bc entirely to screw around with it. Of course I also take it off just to keep in practice.

Amazing that the tanks always slip out underwater and seldom before entry. There must be a constant factor to this. I wonder what that might be? H20!!!!
All needs to be done to prevent the tank from slipping out is wetting the strap before sinching up the strap. Then instead of picking up the tank by the bc and shaking it to see if it slips out, and if it does breaks the toe or makes it very sore, try to hold the tank down to the ground and try to pull off the bc.

All the regular techniques that work above water work fine underwater also - BUT - you've got no leverage!

When it's your buddies tank - no problem (s)he is enough inertia to strap it tight again.

On your own, it's a bit tougher - I've pulled the BC off and then kept it in a death grip between my legs while tightening the strap again - worked fine & reminded me to be more careful in the air where it's easier!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom