Slinging pony: left or right side?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kairoos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I sling my pony on my right side, but I was looking at some pictures online and noticed that most people sling it on their left side (pretty much every picture was this config). Any particular reason for this? Maybe I'm missing something here!

My 19 is on my right side, attached to the BC strap with a "quick draw pony bracket".
I am a "Leftie".
I could care less what anyone else does.
And the most reliable dive buddy I have ever had, at my right side, in a quick draw bracket,
does not care either.
Go with comfort and control.

Chug
Don't care like a Honey Badger don't care.

I sling mine on my left side. Then I take the console and clip it off to my right shoulder so I can read it, running the hose under my left arm. I could sling it on the right side but then it would cover my knife that is on my right hip. That's just me. (Its a 40cf)

Left side came about because the DIR Can light and/or Knife should be on the Right hip holding the end of the long hose down. I usually carry my pony on the left backmount singles unless Im doing single side mount in that case it is where my right bottle would be (Pony hose stowed). When I was doing my Tec class I started doing lean left rich right for my deco tanks since I didnt have my can light on my kit for those dives.

I carry mine because RightRich LeftLean so any bottles that aren't high FO2 deco mixes are on the left. A redundant air source running the same as back gas like a pony bottle would go on the left. I don't have a problem with long hose donate with bottles on the right, once the donation is made, it's not much to unloop the long hose from underneath the can light even with a bottle there.

The main reason to carry a pony bottle on the left side is to avoid potential entanglement with a long hose in a primary donate scenario. If you aren't using a long hose for your primary regulator, give it a try. That along with a bungied backup reg under your chin is simply an easier way to donate gas, and a more streamlined way to dive, regardless of any other technical considerations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The standard for most folks is rich right lean left. It is easy to remember and can be done the same way every time that is the key point. A pony bottle is one thing, but if you ever move into deco then where tanks are needs to be 2nd nature. So what ever system you follow ensure that you use the same one each time so no matter how many tanks you have you always know where they are and which ones are which.

Forget about right rich, left lean crap.

It's just a pony. Clip it wherever you want.

If you do move onto technical diving, clip it wherever you want. I like all left and a leash. But I'll clip them absolutely anywhere!

Why? Because a proper switching and rotation procedure is much more important than "rich right, lean left"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sling my AL19 on the left side. The SPG wraps around the outside and up closer to chest so readable. Also put reel and SMB on left. My camera with its cord is attached to the right. I am right handed. Gets everything out of way for playing with camera or in case of an air share.

Agreed. Doesnt matter. Its your pony. Put it where it feels comfortable for you. The beauty of a slung pony is that it is no problem to try both and chose the one comfortable for you. I picked left. It just felt more comfortable for me and was out of the way for photography and lobstering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom