Sling system for AL40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and my experience with marine hardware suppliers is that you are going to pay $5+ a piece for your stainless hardware or more (and that's if you are lucky).

Yet to this point you have avoided giving a true cost analysis of the system. I'm trying to show you that you end up spending the same or close to it so why expend the effort for essentially the same outcome?

Mine SS snaps from halcyon and the depot seem to be holding up well in Salt and freshwater use.

Originally posted by omar
I can get the dive rite stuff at cost. I still made and prefer the "home" made ones.

I don't get the stainless steel snaps at the local hardware store. They are crap. I go to a marine hardware shop.

omar

If you buy in bulk with a few friends,you can knock out the gear for 20 stages with minimal cost and headache. How hard can a clamp and a couple of knots be?

2 ex-large brass bolt snaps $7 and some change (SM SS clips dont work well with 3 finger mitts)

1 54" length of nylon marine grade string (if I was to break it down out of the $5 for 50ft) .54 cents

1 all ss Pow'R clamp $5 Mcmaster Carr

1 piece of poly tube less then $2

Yes I value my time. Takes me about 5 min. to order from the internet for most stuff and the others, well it gives me an excuse to visit the local Marine dealer. Its called getting away from the little woman and I value that time the most!!!!

By the way you still have to assemble your fully store bought rig as do I. Which takes a whole 5 min.

Oh one thing I forgot I purchase nylon exterior house numbers/letters for .25 cents each so add another $2.50. These last about 2 years on my bottles before I have to replace them.

Total $17.04

I like the idea of doing things for myself. As for bottemless pockets that I dont have but I do make plenty enough money to support my hobbies. There's not to many Technical divers out there that are poor and if they are its because they spent it all on gear, boats, dive trips and Canadian beer and dancers across the border.

true cost analysis...

The ready made Dive Rite is inferior in function and durability and I haven't seen one with SS snaps. I haven't used or seen the Halcyon. Also you need to include the shipping charge as well.

So you pay more for lesser quality, makes sense to me.

omar

Originally posted by maddiver

The question for the two hose clamps was certainly valid as I have seen and even may still have a photo of a guy that did metal to metal off two hose clamps one on each end.

I either fit the hose clamp with a sleeve, or wrap the bottle with electrical tape or innertube underneath - metal to metal is bad, mm'k.

Someone also recommended crab bands instead of innertube - you can get a bag of 50 for less than $8 (or buy ind. for 16 cents each): http://www.go2marine.com/frameset.jsp?servletPath=/g2m&action=GoBPage&id=80018F

I made my own using the same supplies as Omar suggested for about $9 each. I placed electrical tape over the hose clamp to keep it from chafing or snagging .

Yeah and it does look rule #6!!

Robert:doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom