Sling AL40/ weight offset?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys... its an al40.

A pound left or right at that point doesn't matter. Eating a bean burrito before the dive will make more of a difference than a single...aluminum...40...

Fwiw, empty luxfer al40s (with a reg) will float a little.

.....a Luxfer Al 40 w/500 psi is +1.8 so with deco reg set it is only slightly pos. so, as mentioned to the OP, do not use it as negative weight. Just like any other bottles that can be removed or donated, do not use these on a balanced rig calculation. I think a diver with less than 50 dives should know the why behind the answer. As ianr33 mentioned "you will hardly notice". Safe diving!

FWIW, I dive a catalina 40 slung on my left side. I don't add or remove any weight to account for it. The cat 40 with 500psi and a 1st/2nd/spg and stage rigging is just a hair negative. Full it's about 3lb.

My trim, balance and weighting is fine.

I just started slinging an AL40 in the past couple weeks. I found that I needed to add a few pounds for comfort at a shallow stop. I'm in cold water with a BP/W (SS) and I'm not sure how I would add anymore weight though except my leg pockets. It has integrated weight pockets and I need close to 20 lbs plus the back plate but I did just get an 8mm semi-dry. Still getting all the bugs out.

I don't bias my weight at all slinging an AL40, in fact, I often forget its there. I notice it more after breathing it down than I do when its full, and only because it floats a little bit with my MK2/R295 on it. But its not enough to pull me up during a safety stop.

My Al40 (Luxfer) with Sherwood Magnum Regulator sits upside down on the bottom when full. If the regulator isn't on the thing is barely positive. I wouldn't change the weighting at all.

When I started slinging it a few weeks ago I looked at it in the water and it seemed pretty neutral. Why not just put a couple extra pounds on while you are getting used to it and you fan take the pounds off if you can, Lot easier to diver with a few extra pounds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom