sleeping in hammocks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christians don't have sex...

since when?

seriously, good luck with that.

the hammock concept makes my neck hurt

I used to sleep on one in Costa Rica, and a rat fell on my mosquito net and ran in place over my face. Do you have rats there?

I don't like hammocks for many reasons. I think you should get a day bed with memory foam

and make a nice couch out of it, Balinese style. Get a nice curtain you can tie back, nothing like a little solitude and having your own tent. I like not having to look at my desk, for example

catherine96821:
Christians don't have sex...

since when?

seriously, good luck with that.

It doesn't take luck, it takes self-discipline.

JahJahWarrior, you probably already know this, but one thing I found is that it’s very very helpful to establish and maintain good habits.

Now, back to the original question.

The hammock doesn’t really free up any space if you are still required to keep the bed. It’s cool, but it doesn’t really solve any problems.

The daybed ideas are OK, but all that does is pretty it up.

It’s really too bad they won’t allow lofts. The only alternative I can think of is to try to convert the existing bed into a ‘murphy’ bed (one that folds up against the wall), or rig a pulley and counterweight system to lift it to the ceiling. Either of those would free up floor space, then maybe you could use that space with folding chairs and TV trays?

OK.... You are young blood...

But, I am worried about any health effect in future. You don't know what you start to have when you pass 35 years old....

Another option might be to see if the dorm would remove the bed for you--you mentioned that, obviously, you can't just toss the bed out, but there might be something you could work out with them to free up that space.

That said, will you be in a room to yourself, or will you end up with a roommate? Back when I was a freshman, living in the dorm at "that other Florida school" (assuming it's "the other one" to you since you're in Gainesville) the roommate and I bunked the beds to save space--for us, it was to be able to fit an inflatable couch, but for you it'd give you room for the hammock.

Hoosier:

But, I am worried about any health effect in future. You don't know what you start to have when you pass 35 years old....

I really doubt there are any long-term effects to sleeping in a hammock.

O2BBubbleFree:

Uh... tell my lower back that... of course, I can't blame that on sleeping in a hammock. I'm thinking I probably wouldn't be able to stand up at all had I slept in a hammock in college!

O2BBubbleFree:

Bed isn't funiture, but it is a Science... :D

You have to remember it.

To stand for your statement, you have to ignore a whole bed industry.

Hoosier:

O2BBubbleFree:

trucker girl:
Uh... tell my lower back that... of course, I can't blame that on sleeping in a hammock. I'm thinking I probably wouldn't be able to stand up at all had I slept in a hammock in college!

Well, I was 35 when I was in college, but only slept in a hammock once. I used a military-style jungle hammock on a camping trip. Nice not to have to find a flat, smooth spot to set up the tent, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom