sleeping in hammocks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy says I should complain that the girl isn't included. (H2OAndy)

heck, why not file a suit? yea, good thing the place did not burn down.

JahJahwarrior:
Who says I'm waiting till after college ?!?

Actually I probably will.....for financial reasons....

And if worse comes to worse I can take my twin bed from home, when I marry.

If your going to wait until your financially stable... you should hang up marriage all together! Women are expensive, especially after you get married! :D

O2BBubbleFree:
Oh for pete's sake.

1. Not if you take the time to know your knots.

2. Not if tied and used properly.

3. And, don't forget, cinches down if both the free end is loaded, making it very difficult to untie. If there is any possibility of the free end becoming loaded in such a manner, then I highly recommend a butterfly knot. As a matter of fact, in high-angle situations, I believe a butterfly knot should always be used when needing a fixed bight anywhere in the rope away from the ends. It's too easy for an unforeseen situation to tempt you to load the free end, or, as you pointed out, load the loop in a second direction.

In my opinion, your original recommendation that the OP buy climbing webbing, and learn a special knot to tie it, is absurd. The water knot is pretty much unique to climbers, because it's about the only knot that will hold in webbing, and still be easy to untie. If JahJah were a climber, he would already know how to tie it. If not, I suggest he learn a knot with more applications.

Quote:
Hammocks are the way forward !! I hang mine with climbing strops/slings and carabiners - quick and easy !! If you go for rope, try a bowline - it's a knot that should never slip !!

See the above quote from someone had mentioned climbing straps (webbing) so I replied which knot to use if webbing was used. Also, there are other knots that can be tied in webbing, not just the water knot. The water knot is VERY hard to untied once it is loaded. I had seen a many climbers hurt from tying thier knots wrong and they knew the knots well. It can be easy to tie a knot wrong, if you ever did any serious climbing. So your statement of tying them correct and everything will be okay, is just plain WRONG. The problem with the bowline is that it is harder to inspect compared to the figure eight family and it can come undone if its cycled often enough. The figure eights dont even need to be used with a back up knot, while the bowline does. Check out rockclimbing.com and type in the search on bowline vs figure eight or look at the Freedom of the Hills or Bruce Smiths book On Rope. I had seen quite a few high angle techs that never rock climbed in thier lives or took any kind of AMGA classes what so ever. All of thier training was at the local fire dept. and they just practiced packing a litter and lower and raiseing it with a 150 lb. dummy and they want to be a self proclaimed "expert" in SRT (single rope techineques). Also, just for clarification, the butterfly knot is a mid line knot and a figure nine is just as good a knot as the butterfly. :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom