SLAM and LiDAR Cave Mapping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Random idea, if it were possible to time sync a stereo camera system and a DPV INS system (like the Suex one), would be allow for on the move capture of the data? Perhaps with some manually surveyed check points every say, few hundred feet for correction? Any maybe have those check points also possible check that checkpoints for the radio beacon system that I've seen KUR use.
It certainly is. The known check points can be used to recalibrate the IMU data. That takes some additional effort, but if the scientific use of the data warrant it, it can certainly be done and will greatly improve accuracy.

A lot comes down to money. What is the precision required?

It certainly is. The known check points can be used to recalibrate the IMU data. That takes some additional effort, but if the scientific use of the data warrant it, it can certainly be done and will greatly improve accuracy.

A lot comes down to money. What is the precision required?

Just thinking of ways to do it with all the shelf hardware. The Suex Drive system is like $8k I think complete, and pulls time data through a GPS sync. You can timesync GoPros using the Labs firmware, I would think it gets cellular time, but perhaps it can be coded to use GPS time.

That should be accurate to fractions of a second. So correcting it with the known checkpoints should make it pretty accurate. Well beyond the level that a manual survey would be.

I was thinking it might be a good option to get starting data for Jackson Blue, since I heard all the survey data was lost years ago.

Back
Top Bottom