Skin under wet suit or for tropics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moneysavr:
if you dive a farmer you have tons of water movement
Dive safe,
Brad

I have next to NO water movement in my John, the only time I did was when I forgot mine, and had to rent one that was 1 size too large. Methinks you need a smaller John.

Ken

ScubaDivaDivemaster:
Wow, I'd say you are an anomoly jbichsel!
Have a great summer, c u underwater! :snorkel: ,
scubadivadivemaster

I don't think he is an anomaly, I wear a 7mm even to dive New Years Day.

Ken

A 7MM suit in the Carribean?! With a hood?! I'd be dead from heat stroke before I ever got in the water.

Wow, you have been fully conditioned for the heat. 100 degrees must be nothing to you.

My range is <70? degrees = 7MM
<80 degrees = 5MM
>80 degreees = 3MM

Back on track: I second the Lycra suit thoughts. I have Hyperstretch suit (3,5,7MM and worth every cent), and use the skin to ease getting in but mostly to shield my achilles from my boot rubbing.

I don't think it provides any warmth. It does protect against the sun and the little jellies encountered in the tropics if snorkeling.

I've bowed to good advice and just ordered a Henderson "Hot Skins", from CrazyScuba. Hopefully it should arrive before my next local dive and I'll get to see how much it eases the pain off struggling into my 7mm rental.

I guess only experience will tell what I need for my diving in the tropics, but the skin will definitely come with. I only expect to be doing at most 2 dives a day, usually one (my wife is a non-diver and it won't make for much of a vacation if we're spending all our port time with me out diving), so lowering core temperature with repeated dives shouldn't be much of an issue. (This is the first reference I recall having seen to this problem. So this discussion has been educational in more than one way.) Plus I'm a pretty warm kinda guy, so I expect that the skin alone will be good for those dives. If not, then I'm sure some light-weight rentals will be available.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Back
Top Bottom