Single Tank Valve Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could he get a DIN valve with a pro-plug and keep the yoke reg for now? Then when he gets into needing the 80 for a stage just get rid of the pro-plug?

PS I third or fourth the 200 bar endorsement. Whichever number we are on :wink:

Spot on! I would also recommend a 200 bar DIN/K or pro-valve. They are both the same thing. It's a 200 bar DIN valve with an insert that allows you to use yoke regs. I have 300 bar valves on two of my tanks and they are pointless and kind of a pain. More screwing and can't use yoke regs (annoying when you have visitors borrowing your tanks and don't have DIN).

Also, most regs can be converted from yoke to DIN permanently by an authorized dealer and as others have said you can use a DIN to yoke converter which does add length but not usually a big deal.

Donno, all I can say I have seen his face when one guy showed up with free diving fins for the pool session, it would probably be the same :)

If you use the newer regs that turn at a 90 degree between the first stage and the yoke/DIN connection then the adapter shouldn't put too much length on it. Your Apeks should be one of these types.

On the other hand if you use a reg that comes straight from the yoke/DIN to the first stage then the adapter will likely push it into your head.

How much the increase in the protrution does NOT depend on the reg, but the din to yoke adapter. In my case, it stick out for about 1-1/4 inches more. Significant or not depends is personal. For me, it it significant.

As far as I know, you can take fundie with single tank in yoke valve. so why the switch at all? It seems to me that the money can better spend somewhere else, at least for the moment.

I wonder what Dan McKay would say if a student showed up on his Fundamentals with a pro manifold and two yoke regs mounted :confused:

Just for clarification - going back to the OP, the discussion isn't about about TWO yoke regs, it's about ONE. I wouldn't have asked the question if CozumelKeith had been talking about doubles, he's asking about a single setup.

I agree with you and AJ both that DIN is preferable to yoke. However, I thought it was worth looking at a solution that had the following things going for it:
- Only required one change - the valve on the tank
- The change would work as the OP advanced in diving (pull the plug on the tank)
- No investment needed for change to current single/rec reg setup yet (Personally, i completely changed out my old recreational regs... I would have regretted putting money into changing them over to DIN vs. yoke)

Obviously, the one "con" is the yoke vs. DIN thang.

At any rate, to my knowledge I don't believe the OP is headed to Canada to take the class so I guess he doesn't have to worry too much about what Dan would say :).

But Keith, elan brings up a good point, I imagine your instructor has an opinion on the subject :wink:, why don't you check with him?

---------- Post added ----------

Donno, all I can say I have seen his face when one guy showed up with free diving fins for the pool session, it would probably be the same :)

Well there is actually a picture of a yoke valve on the GUE Equipment Configuration page... haven't seen free diving fins on that page tho. :idk:

(More specifically - there is a picture that happens to have a diver with yoke valve... not that there is *highlighted* picture of a yoke valve LOL)

I guess I should have put more smiles in my post LOL.

I checked the GUE requirements and they do not specify where a yoke or din is to be used so I think the op would be fine with a pro valve and a yoke with a single tank rig

How much the increase in the protrution does NOT depend on the reg, but the din to yoke adapter. In my case, it stick out for about 1-1/4 inches more.
Thats true and some regs - flow by pistons are not angled and protrude quite a lot even without an adapter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom