Single Stage Mistral Yoke Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IIRC, the yoke nut on the mistral really doesn't need to be torqued up tight - just enough to ensure a good seal on the body gasket. After all, both sides of the seal should theoretically be at the same pressure, so no undue torquing is necessary. If you do it right, then there's no need to open up the reg. However, if the body should come loose , I'd just as soon open it up and take a gander that my levers were in place (in the very unlikely event that they should come loose and rattle inside).

BTW, that Mistral you bought from Bryan sure is a beauty :D

Now, I know you bought a single-stage long yoke already, but one option that I ended up doing was taking one of my 2-stage long yokes and machining it a bit to fit the single stage nozzle.

P1010792.jpg

I also machined a bit from the back part of the yoke because there are some valves that don't play well with the banjo even with the use of a long yoke. A caveat though: If you find that the nozzle protrudes too much from the yoke retainer nut, you might need to put a spacer. There have been several discussions on VDH regarding the spacer. In my case, in spite of the modified long-yoke, I was still a hair's breadth away from an easy fit. I didn't have a SS washer as suggested by the VDH thread, but I did have the old body gasket which I put under the body washer of the reg. If you look carefully at the photo above, you'll see a very slight black line between the can and the washer. That's the old gasket. Bear in mind, the job of sealing the reg still remains with the new gasket inside the reg - this one was just to act as a spacer. In addition, the thought did cross my mind about putting it on the inside, but that would necessitate adjusting lever heights - so that's the reason I put it on the outside.

Last edited:
Like the rest have said, it does not take much torque to keep the nut on. As you remove the nut, if you keep the reg upside down and hold the large washer on to the body with your thumb, you reduce the possibility of having the internals drop down into the can. While continuing to hold it upside down, install the new yoke and yoke nut until it is finger snug. It's not likely they will, but doing it this way makes me feel better if nothing else. :)

Like the rest have said, it does not take much torque to keep the nut on. As you remove the nut, if you keep the reg upside down and hold the large washer on to the body with your thumb, you reduce the possibility of having the internals drop down into the can. While continuing to hold it upside down, install the new yoke and yoke nut until it is finger snug. It's not likely they will, but doing it this way makes me feel better if nothing else. :)

Thank you sir for the advice. I forgot to post this in this forum, but I got a chance the other day to do the swap, everything went smooth. She breaths great on land :D Pool test tomorrow morning. I did swap the yellow hoses for black and swapped the straight mouth piece for the curved. I know its not historically correct but I have always liked it better. So my Pico BLVD turned into a Late Warner Ave "Mistral" .

IMAG0668.jpg

Banjo check...
IMAG0671.jpg

money shot and new advatar...
IMAG0673.jpg

In case anyone else is interested in making the yolk conversion, a Conshelf VI regulator has the yolk which can be interchanged with a Mistral. You can probably buy it for about $50 on E-Bay.

The Mistral is super easy to work on yourself. I haven't sent a Mistral in for anyone to repair, as it has only six moving parts. It can easily be done by almost anyone, which is why the Cousteau team liked it so much. One adjustment to make is to insure that the lever height is as high as it will go without leaking. You can do this by setting the height with the wheel, and putting the diaphragm onto the bottom box, then squeezing the top box down hard. If it leaks, reset the height lower. Then set the clamp nut, and retest. Sometimes that nut makes the levers higher. But this is easy stuff. The USD manual said to set this height at the top of the box ("flush with the top of the box"), but I have found it breaths much better if it is at the maximum height without leaking, which is usually about 1/4 inch above the top box.

SeaRat

Last edited:
Here's another option when it comes to yoke replacement. I put a yoke from a Dacor 900 on my RAM about a week ago. The base was a little too thick to start with, but about 5 minutes getting it chucked up in the lathe and maybe 30 seconds of actual cutting that was fixed. I removed about a 1/16" deep circle from the bottom of the yoke and now it fits perfectly.

Now I have a heavy yoke on my RAM that accommodates a banjo adaptor and best of all, I got the Dacor for $10 along with a bunch of other stuff at a garage sale.

Use the USD Manual.
https://backup.filesanywhere.com/fs/Link.aspx

Buy a lever height gauge
Mistral Lever Height Gauge [Mistral gauge] - $6.00 : Vintage Double Hose!, Your online source for all things related to vintage diving

Pay $50 for a Conshelf VI to get the yoke- Stupid.
(If you pay more than $40 Then just go here These are OEM Aqua Lung long yok) I haven't paid more than $20 for Conshelf VI yokes.
Thanks Simonbeans,

But it does make sense if you by chance already have a Conshelf XI and "discover" that the yolks are interchangeable. It gave me another Mistral. It also makes sense for someone who is collecting the Conshelf series to know the options. I agree on the payment though.

I had not seen that tool before. That is a good innovation. But my method has worked for years too, and also works on the Healthways SCUBA regulators.

The link you provided to the manual doesn't work for me. So I have enclosed a Skin Diver Magazine article from 1959 on the Mistral.

SeaRatSDM 1959--Mistral.jpg

Hi Drunken Parrot,
welcome to vintage double hoses.
I look forward to seaing you and Portage quarry in Aug.jeff rice said its was 100 degrees yesterday.
Happy Fourth of July
Seahuntjerry:eyebrow::mooner::crafty::rofl3:

Hi Drunken Parrot,
welcome to vintage double hoses.
I look forward to seaing you and Portage quarry in Aug.jeff rice said its was 100 degrees yesterday.
Happy Fourth of July
Seahuntjerry:eyebrow::mooner::crafty::rofl3:

Thank you sir, I will be there. I can't wait. 100 degrees wow! I hope its heating the water up. Happy 4th to you!

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom