Single Diver Indonesia Trip Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Terimah Kasih Pak Sear :D

Seriously there are probably a lot of gals more familiar with Indo now than I am but it's just logical really - especially at this moment in time. Net reviews and complaints and posts in heaps of forums including here on the #metoo movement probably mean it's going to be the safest time for single girls to travel. Note 'girl' is a vague term inclusive of age up to and not excluding 92.

Seriously - look how many dive ops live and die by social media. After the post from undercurrent and the growing number of female solo divers I'd say a lot of Indo and anywhere else with any business sense would have talked to their staff...or I'd hope anyway.

It's not a good business move to have any complaint zooming around the world with a click of a mouse - especially if it pertains to sexual harassment.

Personally I've found 99% of dive ops have gone the extra yard for me as a solo traveller. It's not good for them if I go missing in the middle of the night so I've always had transport organised, guides who will ask if I need anything from a market etc - and I don't think it's purely economic either. Divers tend to look out for other divers.

I agree Bunaken, Bangka and Lembeh combo would be a good option.

I get a bit more leave than my husband does and have done a solo SEA dive trip per year for several years. I have had nothing but kindness and courtesy from the hundreds of young Indonesian and Filipino boat crews and resort staff I have met on these trips. More and more people are doing solo dive trips for many reasons and are totally fine. For sure you have to be careful as you would in your own country but you will be fine.

I would also thoroughly agree with the advice re Sulawesi , which I have been to and loved .

Enjoy !

As the female half of pelan-pelan I have also rarely had anything but kindness and efficiency from Indonesian dive guides/boat crews.
Lembeh muck-diving is a one-off experience. You won't know how you feel about it til you try it. Not all the sites have garbage, and that can depend on the weather (rainfall washing rubbish out of the city of Bitung). And at the very least it is a superb trainer for your buoyancy and breathing control. Shallow dives, slow, calm, proper surface interval, an hour and a half, no problem. Actually I did rather more. A two-hour dive is on the cards NB depth and watch the dive computer.

Hi Stacy! Hope you're having a GREAT time

Just adding my 2 cents here...we visited Bunaken/Lembeh/Bangka in 2011 and were blown away by how special it was We stayed and dove with Two Fish Divers. It was easy because they organized everything and we didn't have to worry about transferring between resorts and all of the details. They took care of us from airport pickup to airport dropoff, with a couple of interesting land excursions along the way. (You should try the day trip to Tangkoko to see the Tarsier monkies )

I was concerned that I wouldn't enjoy muck diving, but it turned out 8 days in the muck was not enough for me! Lembeh Strait is a special place. Two Fish organized a day trip from Lembeh to Bangka for us. It was an amazing day! Bunaken was not as appealing to us. The walls were amazing, but there was too much current for our dive personality ☺,

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a grand time! Good to hear you want to go back. We're planning a group trip October of 2019 - let me know if you want in

Jackie & Hank & Linda

I have recently returned from my third annual trip in north Sulawesi and was on my second liveaboard in Raja Ampat. If you can find a way, do both. Last I checked MSY Seahorse had a very good deal for April.

@CajunDiva thank you for the info! Now that I am getting the feeling for things in Indonesia, I feel like diving everywhere! Lembeh is still high on my list as is Bangka Island. Trip report on Raja Ampat to come soon. Currently on my way to do a few fun dives in Amed, Bali.

I did some diving on Gili Air with Dive Zone (Two Fish). They are a great little op and they mentioned if I continue to dive with Two Fish, you get discounts, cool right!

Have you looked into Maratua, Kakaban and Sangalaki of the coast Kalimantan Indonesia, amazing big fish encounters. Trying to see if I can work that into the mix as well:)

Terimah Kasih Pak Sear :D

Seriously there are probably a lot of gals more familiar with Indo now than I am but it's just logical really - especially at this moment in time. Net reviews and complaints and posts in heaps of forums including here on the #metoo movement probably mean it's going to be the safest time for single girls to travel. Note 'girl' is a vague term inclusive of age up to and not excluding 92.

Seriously - look how many dive ops live and die by social media. After the post from undercurrent and the growing number of female solo divers I'd say a lot of Indo and anywhere else with any business sense would have talked to their staff...or I'd hope anyway.

It's not a good business move to have any complaint zooming around the world with a click of a mouse - especially if it pertains to sexual harassment.

Personally I've found 99% of dive ops have gone the extra yard for me as a solo traveller. It's not good for them if I go missing in the middle of the night so I've always had transport organised, guides who will ask if I need anything from a market etc - and I don't think it's purely economic either. Divers tend to look out for other divers.

I agree Bunaken, Bangka and Lembeh combo would be a good option.

Hi Wingy, Thank you for the awesome advice on diving in Indonesia. I have had a lovely time so far, traveling and diving for about a month now. The locals have been super kind and helpful. I feel very safe. I look forward to RA and hopefully can squeeze in Lembeh and Bangka Island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom