Single Diver Indonesia Trip Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mermaid Stacy

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings Everyone,

This is my second post so I hope I am doing things right. I am currently on day 2 of 60 days in Indonesia. I am 2 months into my Southeast Asia solo trip and have finally returned to Bali after traveling overland in Philippines and Thailand.

I was in Bali in February 2018 and did 6 dives with OK Divers in Padangbai. We did 2 dives in Padangbai, 1 at Manta Point, 1 at Crystal Bay (no molas out of season), 1 at Gili Tepekong (amazing swim throughs) and 1 at Gili Mimpang (ripping up current). I am happy with the dives so good on Bali and Nusa Penida.

A little background on my dive history: certified NASE 2013, have around 200 dives, Florida, Micronesia, and Caribbean. I am Rescue certified. I feel comfortable in most dive enviroments. I have done some negative entry current dives in Palau but no experience in down current or washing machine currents.

I am interested in beautiful coral and reef, schooling fish, large pelagics, good viz, cool critters and most importantly a reputable, safe, established dive operation. I am budget traveler however I understand that Liveaboards are pricey and you get what you pay for. I am curious if mid April is pushing it for Raja. I am a bit intimidated by all I have heard and read about the currents in Komodo. Curious if you have to pay park fees for everyday you visit in Komodo Via LOB? I have looked into Lembeh and Bunaken, but know very little about Alor. I am considering 1 week LOB Komodo or Alor in addition to 1 week Lembeh/Bunaken. I am open to a budget up to $3500ish.

I am curious what you guys think would suit me the best. I have intentions on coming back to Indonesia. I have read through the Indonesia forums and looked at the SEA spreadsheet on dive seasons/conditions. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated. If any fellow solo divers are interested in meeting up, please get in contact, would be nice to split a cabin with a fellow ScubaBoard member or do some dives from a land based op!

Thank you!

I think it’s a great second post! :) Welcome!

I suggest you do land based diving from Labuan Bajo or pick a budget local LOB while in Komodo since there are quite a few available. I think you will enjoy the diving there! Mantas, though not as plentiful in April as in rainy season, can be found along with large schools of fish and beautiful hard corals (tables!) and colors. Supply also tends to keeps liveaboard prices lower compared to a place like Raja Ampat.

Speaking of Raja Ampat...you could look into a homestay if you are on a budget (land based) or you can look into some last minute deals for a liveaboard or go with a budget liveaboard. A quick search looks like KLM Mari and MV Empress have 6-7 days for about $1800 available in April. Some other budget options but less budget go to about $2500 or $2800. If you stick with the lower end, that should still leave you enough space to wiggle airfare and fit Komodo or Lembeh/Bunaken in while still leaving you under $3500 for 2 of the options.

Lembeh and Bunaken would give you some great critters and some great corals, walls, fish, etc. it’s a good mix of both worlds. I’ve dived Lembeh but not Bunaken (no time). Others recommended i pass on Bunaken if i were going to Komodo or Raja on the same trip with limited time.

You are kind of in a sweet spot where you are still within the ideal timeframe to dive both Komodo and Raja Ampat so that is what I would suggest. If you plan to return to Indonesia, timing may not be so good next time and that may be a good time to fit in Bunaken and Lembeh. Plus, it’s a lot easier to get to Bunaken and Lembeh than Raja Ampat so given how much time you have and probably more flexibility, I would do that. With that said, I LOVED Komodo and Raja. I dived Lembeh and it was good and I would return but I always prefer jaw dropping colors, coral, schools of fish, mantas, sponges, etc. to muck even though I really enjoy muck. Or, maybe you have time to squeeze in and do all??? :)

I can’t remember what it is for Komodo but the marine park fee for Raja Ampat is valid for a year if you happen to return within that time frame.

Last edited:
Scuba Junkie Komodo offers 3 dives a day land-based package and NOT being tied down with boat schedule.

I think it’s a great second post! :) Welcome!

I suggest you do land based diving from Labuan Bajo or pick a budget local LOB while in Komodo since there are quite a few available. I think you will enjoy the diving there! Mantas, though not as plentiful in April as in rainy season, can be found along with large schools of fish and beautiful hard corals (tables!) and colors. Supply also tends to keeps liveaboard prices lower compared to a place like Raja Ampat.

Speaking of Raja Ampat...you could look into a homestay if you are on a budget (land based) or you can look into some last minute deals for a liveaboard or go with a budget liveaboard. A quick search looks like KLM Mari and MV Empress have 6-7 days for about $1800 available in April. Some other budget options but less budget go to about $2500 or $2800. If you stick with the lower end, that should still leave you enough space to wiggle airfare and fit Komodo or Lembeh/Bunaken in while still leaving you under $3500 for 2 of the options.

Lembeh and Bunaken would give you some great critters and some great corals, walls, fish, etc. it’s a good mix of both worlds. I’ve dived Lembeh but not Bunaken (no time). Others recommended i pass on Bunaken if i were going to Komodo or Raja on sale trip with limited time.

You are kind of in a sweet spot where you are still within the ideal timeframe to dive both Komodo and Raja Ampat so that is what I would suggest. If you plan to return to Indonesia, timing may not be so good next time and that may be a good time to fit in Bunaken and Lembeh. Plus, it’s a lot easier to get to Bunaken and Lembeh than Raja Ampat so given how much time you have and probably more flexibility, I would do that. With that said, I LOVED Komodo and Raja. I dived Lembeh and it was good and I would return but I always prefer jaw dropping colors, coral, schools of fish, mantas, sponges, etc. to muck even though I really enjoy muck. Or, maybe you have time to squeeze in and do all??? :)

I can’t remember what it is for Komodo but the marine park fee for Raja Ampat is valid for a year if you happen to return within that time frame.

Thank you very much outoftheofficebrb! This is a wonderful, informative post! I am currently looking into the Empress II LOB for Raja departing second week of April. I have been dreaming about diving in Raja Ampat for many years and I feel like the time has truly come! In addition, I might take your advice and look into landed bases options for Komodo. I have met two fellow solo female travelers in Padangbai who also loved the land based diving they did from Labuan Bajo!

Thank you again, keep you posted:)

Scuba Junkie Komodo offers 3 dives a day land-based package and NOT being tied down with boat schedule.

Thank you Centrals, I have heard great things about Scuba Junkie Komodo, will start researching them:)

Komodo Park fees are typically sold as a 3 day pass and are certainly pricey in the way of National Parks if compared to Raja Ampat. Most Government National Parks here are quite expensive and sold as daily entry fees ++.

I just came back from Raja Ampat... I would go back in a NY heartbeat. If you're going to spend some time there, I would do a LOB just because it would make access to certain sites more fluid.

The rates for the full board accommodation for a single, start at our Weda Resort, East Halmahera, (same sea as Raja Ampat), from IDR 1.000.000/EUR 59, - per person, per night.
At Divers Lodge Lembeh from IDR 850.000/EUR 50, -

@Mermaid Stacy

Wingy can give you a lot of advice on Indonesia she's practically an Indonesian herself given the time spent there :p

I also recommend N. Sulawesi and perhaps check out what Murex can offer. Bunaken, Bangka and Lembeh are not to be missed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom