Simple question about removing backup regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What?! sorry, but that is bad sounds like bad advice. If this were true, then with proper training and behavior I wouldn't need any backup air at all. I will never have enough faith in my equipment to do that.

I think you have to look at dive safety in a more global way. If you're solo diving, especially to 100 ft, without understanding the nature of the risks involved I don't think that any equipment configuration will help you. Making a choice to use a spare air in that setting to me indicates a lack of understanding of the nature of what you're doing. I'm not trying to be critical, just honest. You probably should get some specialized training before solo diving to that depth. It has nothing to do with how good a diver you are, it's just that basically all standard recreational diving is predicated on the buddy system.

Since you're thinking about secondary air sources, you really need to ask yourself what would cause you to need it. Equipment malfunction is a possibility, but far more common is simple carelessness or risky behavior. This is stuff like not doing the proper gas planning, and something as simple as not paying enough attention to your gas usage. Another fairly common OOA scenario is when someone gets into a situation where they cannot get back to the surface in the time they planned. Wrecks are perfect environments for this sort of thing.

Leaving the behavioral part out for a minute, think about the equipment malfunction. Let's say your reg quits on you at some point, and suddenly delivers no air. That's very rare, BTW, but it could happen. You then lose access to all your gas and you need enough air to comfortably get to the surface no matter where you are in the dive, maybe including a safety stop, with a reserve, in an emergency situation where it's likely you're breathing a lot more air. How in the world will 3 cft help you? Sure, if you're near the surface, or if you're lucky, you might be able to get a few breaths, race for the surface and not drown, but that's hardly safe diving. It would be MUCH better to not carry the spare air and only dive in situations where you simply do not need the personal redundancy, like normal OW diving with a reliable buddy.

Getting a real pony is a step in the right direction, but there are ALL SORTS of things that could be big trouble on a solo dive to 100 ft, so the biggest pony in the world is not going to make that safe without extensive training and other redundant gear. There are lots of people that would say it's simply not safe no matter what.

BTW, if I understand one of your posts correctly, you solo dive 30 miles off shore? Is there someone in your boat? Is there O2 on board?

Your beating a dead horse with the spare air thing. I am actively shopping for the pony bottle setup.

Yes, there is someone on the boat! Actually, the person on the boat WOULD BE my dive buddy, but his job is to be in the boat, making sure there is a boat there when I come up! Trust me, I would prefer a buddy. As much for the experience as the safety. Lets face it.... diving by yourself is a lot like masturbation.

But for now, diving solo is my only choice.

No, there is no Oxygen on the boat.

Mike

Only read the original post--------can't wait to see the responses on this one..........lol

Hi mcavana:

Here is a link with a step-by-step on how to rig a stage (or pony) so that you can "sling" it from your left chest and hip D-Rings:

DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging

My vote is for "slinging" the pony.

If you want to discuss solo diving in general, the "Solo" forum is a "flame-proof" area to do so.

Outside of the solo "safe-room" you may find that any mention of solo diving is a "hot-button" topic, and may generate the random drive-by flame or two :D

Best wishes.

Hi mcavana:

Outside of the solo "safe-room" you may find that any mention of solo diving is a "hot-button" topic, and may generate the random drive-by flame or two :D

Best wishes.

LOL, I noticed.

Well good news is my local dive shop is allowing me to return my spare air that I just got from them. They ordered my new pony set up. The 19cf tank, 1st and 2nd stage all come to about 100 bucks more then the spare air credit.

I plan to go into the shop with my BC when they come in so I can put my head together with the shop guy to figure out the best way to attach it. I am really headed towards the clip onto the bc option. My bc is already very heavy. It has 22 lbs of weights in it plus the tank (I am 6'3", 275 lbs) so my thought is once I have all my crap on, and I am sitting on the edge of the boat, someone can simply hand me the pony... I clip it onto my BC and go over.

They had a pretty cool quick release clamp that attaches to the camber... but that sucker was like 120 bucks! again, If I went that route, I would have like 8 more pounds on my BC when I try to pick it up and put it on... Something I would rather avoid if possible on a 25 foot boat in 3 to 4 foot seas!

By the way, I also now have a new whistle, and a new 6ft long signal tube.

My bc is already very heavy. It has 22 lbs of weights in it plus the tank (I am 6'3", 275 lbs)

I'm 6'2 & 250 lbs, I was diving 22lbs until 3 weeks ago when I took the Peak Performance Buoyancy Speciality. Now I'm down to 14 lbs (12 when I've got the pony mounted). Just got my Steel HP 120, which means that I'll drop another 6lbs off my BC weights.

I see you're in Florida so I assume your not diving a 7mm wetsuit like I am but you are diving in Salt Water. I found that I was comfirtable diving a full 3mm in Salt at the same weight I dive 7mm in Fresh but I haven't had a chance to test the new weight in Salt.

Anyway, the point I'm getting at is you might want to review your weights. Honestly as you're adding a Pony Bottle this is a good time to do it anyway. Finally, remember that unless you're center-mounting the Pony somewhere you'll need to adjust your trim so that the total weight is distributed properly.

Hi again mcavana:

Totally off your original topic, but since we talking about weight (not yours, ballast weight :D ).....

As far as weighting, "you need what you need".... 22 lbs might be fine, but it is a very good idea to do a bouyancy check again, once you get all of your new toys :D

I'm a very big guy, 6'5" and about 265 lbs. I am a "floaty" fellow, plus use a 3mm full with 5mm hood. I use 18lbs total ballast: 10 lbs is "fixed weight" in a SS backplate and heavy SS STA, 8 lbs is "ditchable" on a weightbelt.

Especially diving solo, you do NOT want to be grossly overweighted (because there is no buddy to help you at the surface or at depth) . You do need to be able to keep your head above water with an empty wing and a full tank while wearing all of your ballast weight... at least briefly to give you time to ditch weights..... and you should ideally be able to quickly ditch enough ballast weight to get positive at the surface in an emergency.

Best wishes.

yeah, I have been slowly trying to loose some balast weight... it is belive it or not a good bit less then it used to be (28 lbs!)! I was planning on trying to drop another 2 lbs off on my next dive to see what happens.

Honestly, I don't know the best way to measure if I have too much or too little weight. I know the classes say to get in the water with everything and a full tank... let out all the air in bc and the water level should be at eye level... when you breath in you should rise, and when you breath out you should start to sink.... this method doesn't seem to work with me though.

Now please continue with the help!!! Trust me, I am listening!

A Spare Air is great - it's the only piece of gear that allows you to run out of air TWICE on the same dive!

:D

Honestly, I don't know the best way to measure if I have too much or too little weight.

So, even though you don't know how to do the VERY FIRST THING that is taught to OW students you're out solo diving to 100'?

:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom