Simple question about removing backup regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too love wreck diving...........

I went doubles - long hose/bungeed secondary..........

I guess why wouldn't you go the doubles route?

Do you arlready have the tanks?

If you sling the 30 CF I can see it, but mounting it on you back seems to be asking for a less-than-well-balanced rig..........

Not trying to be a jerk, just asking why.........:)

Thanks........M

I went doubles - long hose/bungeed secondary..........

I guess why wouldn't you go the doubles route?

Do you already have the tanks?

I have 1 Steel HP120 already.

The best, honest answer is that I'm evolving as a diver in skill, technique & gear. I'm sure that I'll get to doubles at some point, just not yet. As you know there are other gear considerations to diving doubles.

If you sling the 30 CF I can see it, but mounting it on you back seems to be asking for a less-than-well-balanced rig..........

It's just a matter of trim, I usually have 2 lbs of lead in my left trim pocket to off-set the pony bottle mounted on the right side of my main cylinder. If I forget this then I do have a tendacy to roll when hovering...

Not trying to be a jerk, just asking why.........:)
Thanks........M

Never took it as such, heck I'm always checking out other divers' gear and asking questions.

Thanks..........

If you already have the tanks, makes sense......

M

Thanks for the explanation. I understand what he was saying now.

Ok guys, I have another question for you.

With the 13 or 19 that I plan to get...

My average dive day is 2 to 3 dives (and that means 2 - 3 tanks). I am in a boat 9 to 30 miles offshore. 60 to 105 feet. I am NOT penetrating anything.... nor do I ever plan to at this point (just not my thing.) I am getting seriously into spearing.

So, given what I just told you, would I be better off with something that attaches the pony tank to my main tank, or just some kind of sling or bag that I throw ver my shoulder or somehow clip to my BC?

Ease of use is very important to me here. I really want something that is not only easy to use, but also easy to set up. I don't want a complicated strap system when I have to attach the pony to 3 different tanks in one day.

So, given what I just told you, would I be better off with something that attaches the pony tank to my main tank, or just some kind of sling or bag that I throw ver my shoulder or somehow clip to my BC?

Well, you have 3 options:

1) Sling it... When Spearfishing this migh not be the best as you will already be task loading and handling gear. A slung bottle can move aroung on you.

2) Zeagle Tanks straps... Connects to the Tank bands on your BC so your Pony is mounted on your back but to the BC not the tank. Change tanks without moving the Pony.

3) Pony Tamer... Attaches to your main Cylinder, need a setup to put straps on each of your main cylinders. Easily moves your Pony between cylinders and BCs.

You have to weigh the positives & negatives of each system.

Personally I have the Pony Tamer with bands on my two Main Cylinders. I prefer to have my Pony on my back and out of the way with the regulator on a nacklace. I also have a button SPG zip-tied to the Pony Reg so I see it when I want.

I started with an "quickdraw bracket" and attached my 19 CF to my tank......the bracket was very well built and worked as advertised..........

Heavy Duty Quick Draw Bracket 13/19

Now I sling it......why.......

1. With pony hard mounted to back tank it makes the entire BP/W (or BCD) bigger, heavier and harder to put on..........slinging the pony, last item clipped on after being all geared up and checked out......

2. Never got an acceptable hose routing......my 19 CF is self contained with surgical tubing holding the second stage flat against the pony......easy to carry, easy to deploy and re-stow.............a tidy little unit........

3. Easy to hand off if needed (the bracket had a release pin) but the slung unit can be unclipped in seconds......

4. Down in front of me.......I can easily reach the valve, check pressure and look at the entire unit......

5. Less entanglement risk......again being in front of you, visible and able to unclip it......think fishing line, as you said no penetration.....

6. Cheaper..............a sling kit, if you DIY it cost almost nothing........

7. This is all applicable to a 19 CF tank, that is about 5 inches longer than a 13 CF.....the 19 slings perfectly from the left hip D-Ring to the left shoulder D-Ring.....I have never tried it with a 13 CF................

8. At the end of the dive easy to unclip and hand up to the boat if needed.......

Hope this helps...........M

I started with an "quickdraw bracket" and attached my 19 CF to my tank......the bracket was very well built and worked as advertised..........

Heavy Duty Quick Draw Bracket 13/19

Now I sling it......why.......

1. With pony hard mounted to back tank it makes the entire BP/W (or BCD) bigger, heavier and harder to put on..........slinging the pony, last item clipped on after being all geared up and checked out......

2. Never got an acceptable hose routing......my 19 CF is self contained with surgical tubing holding the second stage flat against the pony......easy to carry, easy to deploy and re-stow.............a tidy little unit........

3. Easy to hand off if needed (the bracket had a release pin) but the slung unit can be unclipped in seconds......

4. Down in front of me.......I can easily reach the valve, check pressure and look at the entire unit......

5. Less entanglement risk......again being in front of you, visible and able to unclip it......think fishing line, as you said no penetration.....

6. Cheaper..............a sling kit, if you DIY it cost almost nothing........

7. This is all applicable to a 19 CF tank, that is about 5 inches longer than a 13 CF.....the 19 slings perfectly from the left hip D-Ring to the left shoulder D-Ring.....I have never tried it with a 13 CF................

8. At the end of the dive easy to unclip and hand up to the boat if needed.......

Hope this helps...........M

do you have any pictures of this setup? (it is hard for me to imagine what you are describing)

I am traveling right now for work........

I will send I picture later when I get home.......

Let me do some web snooping and see if I can get something sooner...

M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom