Simple question about removing backup regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah, I have been slowly trying to loose some balast weight... it is belive it or not a good bit less then it used to be (28 lbs!)! I was planning on trying to drop another 2 lbs off on my next dive to see what happens.

Honestly, I don't know the best way to measure if I have too much or too little weight. I know the classes say to get in the water with everything and a full tank... let out all the air in bc and the water level should be at eye level... when you breath in you should rise, and when you breath out you should start to sink.... this method doesn't seem to work with me though.

EMPTY Cylinder, well not really empty but 500psi in it.

Honestly I don't trust that "Tried & True" method though. That was how I got to 22lbs from 28lbs.

When I took PPB Specialty the DM asked how much I was wearing, I said 22lbs, he said give me 8. I did and it takes a little effort to get down that first 6 ft or so but after that everything is great.

So, even though you don't know how to do the VERY FIRST THING that is taught to OW students you're out solo diving to 100'?

:shakehead:

My OW didn't teach me how to figure my correct weighting. The instructor guessed and added 4 (or something like that).

I left OW using 30lbs! With my AL80 I'm now using 14lbs and even that is nowhere near the PADI formula for proper weighting.

So, even though you don't know how to do the VERY FIRST THING that is taught to OW students you're out solo diving to 100'?

:shakehead:

LOL,

Sorry I have not achieved your approval.

Maybe if you would search back into your infinate wisdom teachings you might remember that OW classes do not teach you how to fine tune your ballast weight. They give you very basic guidlines and tell you to do the test that I explained in my previous post. If you would like I would be more then happy to quote it from the PADI book itself! 99% of the time people leave OW classess grossly overweight. But you already know that right?

Now that the fire has been PUT OUT, please continue with the great advice guys.

Good news about the shop taking back the Spare Air......

I suggest you look at this thread...........

Good points about pony bottle mounting and deployment...........

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/285805-pony-bottle-off.html

Hope this helps..............M

That was a great read... although I must admit after reading it I have no idea if in my situation I should leave the pony on during the dive, or just pressurize and turn off before getting wet...

Last edited:
Well, you know I am in the "sling the pony in front and leave it on for the entire dive club"...........:)

At the end of the day, there is no single right answer.........check titanium flameproof underwear on..............

You need to develop the system/technique/gear setup that works for you..........and then practice, practice, practice using it..........any emergency response needs to be automatic and flawlessly executed........

There are some DIR videos of divers, practicing handing off the long hose, in the blink of an eye the hose is unwrapped, backup is in their mouth and primary is extended in front for the OOA diver........very impressive........

The important item here it that you are asking the right questions and thinking through the issues.......

Like others, as I have said before, I don't solo dive...............I think it very unwise.....

I sincerely hope you guys can find a third buddy, 1 on the boat and two in the water...........

M

LOL,

Sorry I have not achieved your approval.

Maybe if you would search back into your infinate wisdom teachings you might remember that OW classes do not teach you how to fine tune your ballast weight. They give you very basic guidlines and tell you to do the test that I explained in my previous post. If you would like I would be more then happy to quote it from the PADI book itself! 99% of the time people leave OW classess grossly overweight. But you already know that right?

Now that the fire has been PUT OUT, please continue with the great advice guys.

Hi mcavana:

Regarding: Bouyancy Testing & Ballast Weighting: **Note: Testing is done with an empty wing. My personal opinion is that you do testing WITHOUT pony bottle, heavy dive light, or other removeable equipment because if you accidently drop or pass-off the item, you may end up too light at the safety stop or deco stop.

1.) Method 1: The "Agency" Method (PADI, et al): With all of your gear and exposure suit on and a full tank, add weight until you are neutral (floating at eye level) with a normal held breath. Then add the weight of the gas (an Al80 holds about 6 lbs of gas, but you hopefully will not breath all of it :D, so for most folks adding 5 lbs is about right). So, find "neutral" at the surface with a full tank, then add 5 lbs (or whatever weight of air you will use with your particular tank). Then do the dive, and test at 10-15 feet with 300-500 lbs in the tank. Are you neutral at the safety stop, light, or heavy? Adust weighting accordingly. Some folks adjust for neutral at the surface at the end of the dive, some shoot for neutral at the safety stop depth. So there may be a few pounds difference depending on where you want "neutral" bouyancy to occur (safety stop or surface).

2.) Method 2: "Old School", Pre-BC, Minimalist, and I believe Tobin @ DSS Method: Add weight until you find neutral at the surface with a full tank. Then go diving and have fun with the new, lighter you! :D

Method "2" is more difficult for new divers. You really have to "think heavy thoughts" to sink those first 10-15 feet. Many beginning divers just can't make this method work because they have not learned to relax and sink. And at the end of the dive, you REALLY have to be on top of your game to hold a shallow safety stop. But many of us in the Pre-BC days used this method (or a slight variation) to find our weighting. This results in diving "lighter" by at least 5 lbs than the lightest weight you'd acheive with Method "1".

I used Method "2" for all of my early years of diving in the '70's and '80's, before I had a BC. It does work just fine. It is bascially what I still use. But being able to hold the safety stop with 300 lbs in your tank depends on wetsuit compression and holding a deeper safety stop (15-20 feet) combined with the neoprene not immediately rebounding to it's full thickness after being compressed at depth.

The first dive of the day, when the neoprene is still "dry" and at full thickness, air is trapped inside the suit, etc., can be a little tough until you pass 10 feet.

The upside to Method "2" is that you are lighter at the surface (and at depth) in the event of a wing failure, and I typically do not need to add any air to my wing at all until I hit about 50 feet.

Best wishes.

99% of the time people leave OW classess grossly overweight. But you already know that right?

99% of the students who do their OW with the shop I DM for leave OW classes PROPERLY weighted for their checkout dives, and with an understanding of how to properly check and modify their weight when diving in other locations/rigs/exposure protection. I can't speak for the quality of training at other shops.

:D

I need to drop a couple pounds then. right now, at 22 lbs, on my safety stop with 300 - 500 psi left If I let all of my air out of my BC I will still slowly sink. I will take off another 2 pounds on my next dive, and be sure to take the anchor line up in case I am too light. And repeat if necessary. Thank you for that VERY helpful post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom