Simple, Quality Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stampsalot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Nothing fancy just basic old school quality required. Don't need 2014 fancy led lights or marketing jargon just a good quality tried and true fin.

also while I'm here same applies for the mask. Black skirt. No gimmicks. Rugged last me a while.

any suggestions?

Nothing fancy just basic old school quality required. Don't need 2014 fancy led lights or marketing jargon just a good quality tried and true fin.

also while I'm here same applies for the mask. Black skirt. No gimmicks. Rugged last me a while.

any suggestions?

Easy, Scubapro Jet fins and Scubapro Frameless mask.

N

Easy, Scubapro Jet fins and Scubapro Frameless mask.

Agreed. In fact, I use both. I don't use the Jet Fins ALL the time, but I always dive my Frameless.

I prefer the Atomic Frameless mask but the Scubapro Frameless is my backup until I can afford another Atomic. These are two iconic Scubapro pieces that are very good quality, proven and simple.

N

Agree on the mask without hesitation, it's the only mask in over a decade that actually fits my face without leaking FWIW I have a small narrow face and the medium fits perfectly. For rugged can't really go wrong with Jets or Hollis F1s or similar clones. You can get the F1s in Oz no problem. Jets I'm not sure but imagine albeit for a premium price. If you're looking for a lighter weight fin the F2 is a nice fin providing you can get a good fit.

James, I bought two Atomics as am scared they'll stop making them one day, might even buy a third lol.

Last edited:
Scubapro Jetfins - powerful, good control, but heavy
OMS Slipstreams - as above, but lighter (some variance in foot pocket size, which suits others too)
Hollis F1 - great for drysuits
Hollis F2 - better for wetsuits, but less power
ForceFins Pro - indestructible, good power, but costly

Masks - Cressi 'Big Eyes' or derivatives. Mask selection is more about personal fit. I bought three pairs of Big Eyes back in 2005/6, when I discovered they fitted my like a glove. I just had to 'retire' the first set (they lasted that long). Onto the second set now - hoping for another 8+ years of hard use (000's of dives). The third set remains in the wrapping.

A lot of people use the Oceanic Shadow mask. I do and I like it, and it works well.

Not tried the SP Frameless so don't know how they compare.

The things with masks is brands IMO are irrelevant, they all do the same thing basically, comes down to black or clear skirt, price, frameless or window and field of view/volume but the only real important factor is fit.

Agree on the mask without hesitation, it's the only mask in over a decade that actually fits my face without leaking FWIW I have a small narrow face and the medium fits perfectly. For rugged can't really go wrong with Jets or Hollis F1s or similar clones. You can get the F1s in Oz no problem. Jets I'm not sure but imagine albeit for a premium price. If you're looking for a lighter wright fin the F2 is a nice fin providing you can get a good fit.

James, I bought two Atomics as am scared they'll stop making them one day, might even buy a third lol.

I think I will get my spare Atomic very soon. I keep hinting to my wife, being as it is Christmas almost. I do this with running shoes, buying several pairs (as in more than two) so she should be accustomed to it, you would think :).

My kit I dove in Cozumel, notice the Atomic Frameless atop my new Aeris Accel fins and the Argonaut Kraken pre-production test regulator:

fd764c12-7d6b-48d9-b326-222635a77c05_zpsf76e57ab.jpg

Dear Atomic,

Please Atomic, do not discontinue or improve the Atomic Frameless, it needs nothing, please leave it alone. Well, I would not mind a lesser price but if that meant a reduction in quality or anything to do with China, just leave it alone.

Thanks,
N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom