Simple, Quality Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I will get my spare Atomic very soon. I keep hinting to my wife, being as it is Christmas almost. I do this with running shoes, buying several pairs (as in more than two) so she should be accustomed to it, you would think :).

My kit I dove in Cozumel, notice the Atomic Frameless atop my new Aeris Accel fins and the Argonaut Kraken pre-production test regulator:

fd764c12-7d6b-48d9-b326-222635a77c05_zpsf76e57ab.jpg

Dear Atomic,

Please Atomic, do not discontinue or improve the Atomic Frameless, it needs nothing, please leave it alone. Well, I would not mind a lesser price but if that meant a reduction in quality or anything to do with China, just leave it alone.

Thanks,
N

That reg looks supercool, I want one.

Nothing fancy just basic old school quality required. Don't need 2014 fancy led lights or marketing jargon just a good quality tried and true fin.

also while I'm here same applies for the mask. Black skirt. No gimmicks. Rugged last me a while.

any suggestions?

Easy, Scubapro Jet fins and Scubapro Frameless mask.

N

I agree. I use jet fins and my sp frameless on all my dives.

You've gotten a lot of mask recommendations, but the bottom line is that the mask you use has to fit. Fit is highly idiosyncratic, and there is no single mask that fits everyone. Try on everything in the store, and use this test: Put the mask on your face and hold your breath. Push gently in on the mask with your fingers until a little air blurps out of it. Then let go. If the mask stays on your face for 20 or 30 seconds, you have an excellent fit. If it falls off immediately, it is not sealing, and will leak. (Note that if you let air out of your nose during this process, all masks will fall off!)

For fins, what you will like will depend in part on where you are diving. For cold water diving, most people are happy with heavy fins, like Jets. This is because, if you are using a heavy neoprene suit, your legs will tend to float, and the heavy fins bring them down. This is also true of dry suit divers, who get a little air in their feet.

On the other hand, if you are diving warm water with thin exposure protection, you may find heavy fins like that put you in an obligatory feet-down position. With that kind of setup, you might be happier with a similar, simple paddle fin, but one that isn't made of heavy rubber. The OMS Slipstreams or the Dive Rite EXPs are examples of a light fin that might work better with light exposure protection.

Actually, when trying on a mask, put your regulator in your mouth.

I was never one who much believed mask fit was all that particular, some exceptions of course.

N

Last edited:
Fins i think I got under control.

Mask, good fit, frameless. I can't remember why I think a black skirt is best. But I got a niggling thing in the back of my mind that a clear skirt will give me some kind of periffer... pariferal... perrifer... profiteroles vision?

whaddya think with this one?

I don't know if you can get them in the US but IST do a jet fin clone in heavy duty rubber for about $50.

For a great value frameless mask choose a Beaver Atomic at around the same price.

Another mask to consider would be the Oceanic Shadow. Low volume, good peripheral vision, seals well, etc.
And another fin choice would be Turtles. They are similar to the Jet style fin, but perhaps little shorter and wider. One benefit I found with Turtles was the size of the foot pocket. It is between the Jet XL and old style Jet XXL. But now I heard that SP makes a new size which is in between the XL and old XXL. It's the new XXL, and the old XXL is now called the XXXL, which you could park a semi truck in the foot pocket.

Currently diving an Atomic frameless mask, but my next mask is going to be a Mako Masks / Snorkels

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom