Similans vs Merguis? Current opinions or Experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cuppacafe

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi...has anybody recently been in the Mergui Islands (Burma/Myanmar)?

Just wondering how they compare...and whether the Merguis are healthy and full of fish...or the dynamite fishing continues to take its toll.

I am planning to do a liveaboard minimum 4days/4 nights to the Similans...but can't decide re: Merguis...
cheers and tks for your help,
Susan

...Just wondering how they compare...and whether the Merguis are healthy and full of fish...or the dynamite fishing continues to take its toll.

The Similan Marine National Park offers great diving on colorful reefs with an abundance of corals and creatures. At some sites you have a better than good chance of diving with manta rays, zebra sharks and schooling fish. Most popular dive-sites in the Similan National Park consist of granite boulders stacked on top of one another (swim-thru’s) or boulders that are spread out over the white sandy bottom.
The Similans attract a lot of divers and sites can be crowded. Visibility in general is good but do expect some current.

Some of the dive-sites in the Mergui Archipelago in Myanmar offers imo outstanding and not-to-be-missed diving. Sites like Western Rocky, 3-Islets and Black Rock have very colorful reefs and are great spots for critter-diving. Occasionally the sites offer good schooling fish-life and big animals as well. This is not a guarantee though!!!
Visibility can be meager, currents can be strong and there is still an (on and off) dynamite fishing problem. Diving the Mergui Archipelago will give you the feeling that you’re “away from it all”. There are not many boats operating in the area and often you will have the dive-site all for yourself
If it was my choice I would try to go and dive both the Similans and the Mergui Archipelago.

For now I would feel ashamed to contribute in any way to the abhorrent Myanmar regime

Without realizing it you may already be doing so by every single time you’re eating food in Thailand that has been cooked on gas.
Thailand’s PTTEP International Ltd pipes approximately one billion cubic feet of gas per day from Burma’s offshore reserves in the Andaman Sea, and Thailand maintains its status as Burma’s largest trading partner and third largest investor in the country,
behind Singapore and Britain.
Personally I do not think that not going to visit a country because of its regime will do much good for its people. Or will change such a regime because of that for that matter. I have noticed in Myanmar that part of the money brought in by the dive tourists actually did end up with the local people who really do need those dollars very much. The dive tourism has helped somewhat with curbing the dynamite fishing and protecting the reefs and its creatures and has created more eco-awareness to the local people.

The dynamite fishing continues to take its toll. I have not been myself last season, but all diveguides I spoke to who have been there last season were very disappointed. Combined with the cost of a trip to Mergui, I would recommend to go to the Similans. Mergui is going to be a gamble, and chances of a positive return are IMO too low to take the gamble.

Without realizing it you may already be doing so by every single time you’re eating food in Thailand that has been cooked on gas.
Thailand’s PTTEP International Ltd pipes approximately one billion cubic feet of gas per day from Burma’s offshore reserves in the Andaman Sea, and Thailand maintains its status as Burma’s largest trading partner and third largest investor in the country,
behind Singapore and Britain.
Personally I do not think that not going to visit a country because of its regime will do much good for its people. Or will change such a regime because of that for that matter.

I dont' doubt all of this. It is certainly a difficult one to address. You can follow the passage of money through a system and some nasty dude some where will end up taking their cut.

e.g. anybody into motor racing might be contributing towards the Mosley dude continuing to be a perverted facist. supporting that margaret thatcher chick perhaps gave her prat of a son the opening into becoming an arms dealer. being a Thaksin supporter helped Everton foorball club etc (obviously these are not the best examples i can think of more if you like). from the opposite perspective Mc Donalds do not suddenly become highly ethical because ronald gives a few quid to some kids in hospital and BP are not really a "green" company.

As such you can either justify or condemn almost all spending based on the spurious financial avenues along which the money travels.

I choose not to go to Mergui for the directness of the monetary connection but I agree that much of this is an emotional decision rather than a ruthlessly rational one. I merely pointed it out in the previous post to draw attention to wicked Myanmar regime which may not have been considered by the original poster.

I have noticed in Myanmar that part of the money brought in by the dive tourists actually did end up with the local people who really do need those dollars very much. The dive tourism has helped somewhat with curbing the dynamite fishing and protecting the reefs and its creatures and has created more eco-awareness to the local people.

THAT is more interesting

I choose not to go to Mergui for the directness of the monetary connection but I agree that much of this is an emotional decision rather than a ruthlessly rational one.

I do respect that.

I do not like (to say it mildly) the current regime of Myanmar either but am at the same time happy I’ve had a chance to dive the Mergui Archipelago and “Burma Banks” for a few years and to meet some of the indigenous people.
The area offers some tremendous dive-sites with a magnitude of creatures and has stunning top-side scenery as well.

Can u recommend me any agencies providing these trips from phuket ? What would be the cheapest choice to mergui and burma banks ?

I was in Burma in Jan. I did have some nice dives however I would not recomend it - really not worth it. We heard lots of bombs whilst underwater and witness dynamite fishing in progress - we actually had to change the itinarary as they were fising on the dive site we were due to dive. The only shark we saw was a dead one on the fishermans boat.

Yes, that's what I've heard from various topics concerning myanmar, to avoid it, and really, it's overpriced. Won't go there this time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom