Similan Islands Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know who to come to whith my next identification question.

More than happy to help you with questions about invertebrates and unusual fish and creatures from South East Asia.
I really like nudi's, flatworms and saron shrimps alot, so if you have any pics of those than do not hesitate to post them!

:D

Thanks for the clarification. I guess the DMs on my boat got this one wrong.

Many of the older popular ID-books used by dive shops and on Liveaboards in Thailand are having lots of mistakes in them and often the wrong family and species names.
DM's read those books without realizing that not everything is properly named and/or classified and assume that what they read is what it is.

Another problem with (especially) invertebrates is that some of the species have been re-named and re-classified because they were wrongly named and classified in the past.

Careful observation of the creature while diving, getting good books and doing online research helps a lot with finding the right names for the right species.

There's also quite a bit of confusion about "common" names for fish. A classic example from that in Thailand is the socalled "leopard" shark. The better common name for this animal (as used in the shark-id books) is "zebra" shark and it's scientific name is "Stegostoma fasciatum". The "leopard" shark ("Triakis semifasciata") is a shark species that not even exists in the Andaman Sea but can be found in the Eastern part of the North Pacific.

Now ofcourse "common" names are just "common" names and it's not really all that important to make a fuzz about....

More than happy to help you with questions about invertebrates and unusual fish and creatures from South East Asia.
I really like nudi's, flatworms and saron shrimps alot, so if you have any pics of those than do not hesitate to post them!

Since you asked, here's a flatworm. I'm also a big fan of nudi's and flatworms. I'm not quite sure what saron shrimp are.

Attachments

• flatworm.jpg
    flatworm.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 22
Since you asked, here's a flatworm. I'm also a big fan of nudi's and flatworms. I'm not quite sure what saron shrimp are.

Your flatworm is a "Pseudobiceros gloriosus".
Family: Pseudocerotidae, Order: Polycladida.

"Saron shrimps" are sometimes also called "Marble shrimps". They are shy colorful shrimps with very nice patterns on their body. A few divesites in Myanmar (Mergui Archipelago) have some beautiful species...

Back
Top Bottom