significant other taking up diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kanonfodr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Aloha,

Well my girlfriend does her first OW dives today, finishes up tomorrow, and we are going out fun diving Saturday. Of course I'm ecstatic that I finally have a girlfriend with good taste in weekend activities, but I'm curious to know how others' relationships have benefitted/suffered when the non-diving half becomes a diver.

Peace,
Greg

Wife & I started out together in '85----& let me tell you one thing, it's nice to come home & she says 'honey, I just made reservations for (Little Cayman, Dominica, Roatan----you can put in other names) for Sept...:)....Life doesn't get get any easier.......good luck & enjoy it together UW....

My girlfriend got me into SCUBA and I pissed her off at first with my enthusiasm, especially with the aspects that I found interesting as an engineer. Small discussion and a large amount of diving together solved that.

Wife and I started diving together. I travel so probably would not have done this without her. Just to much time apart because of my job and do not want a hobby that takes us apart on weekends or vacations.

I agree with the previous poster. It is very nice to come home and listen to her tell me where our next dive trip will be. Are we closer than before, probably not, but we sure spend some quality time together not just diving, but enjoying the trips as well.

well my wife and I have been diving MANY times together now. We had a few tense discussions about how close to stay, hand signals etc.... But like any good dive buddy once you iron that out, it makes for a very trusting and enjoyable experiance.

My wife has become one of my most trusted dive buddies, and the one that I will trust the most in poor conditions, when trying something new etc.... She has my back and I have hers 100% as we both have a vested interest in each other

We even have worked out good systems for doing things like lifting objects etc.... It can be looked at as doind the team building and trust building exercises each weekend.

We have also made a game out of spotting slip ups in each others rigging/safety etc....
First person to have a console slip loose, a leaked dry suit etc..... gets to make dinner or give a back rub to the other person. Keeps us both safety minded and on our toes.

Lastly the gentle competition we share forces us to improve our skills on each dive. Better bouyancy, more accurate dive profile etc....

I dive with my husband and I know a fair number of significant other buddies.

For the most part, it's good. However, we all seem to get more testy with one another than we would with just a friend buddy. We all seem to bring a little bit of "baggage" into the dives, and occasionally that turns out to be a huge PITA.

But for the most part, diving with your significant other is really great. And it's always nice to have someone understand what you're talking about rather than just nod and space out while you're explaining how cool some aspect of your dive was (especially if you're talking about how you nailed your mid-water valve drill :wink:).

I think its great my girlfriend actually got me into diving. We try to plan a lot around dives cause its something we both can go out and enjoy together, such as this weekend we're takin a trip to the keys. You'll always have a dive buddy too lol. But that aside I find us watching out for one another more often and such.
But I will say we've been in a few heated discussions, usually when I mess up and do somethin stupid, or go too far away from her i'll get yelled at a bit more than I would than with a diff buddy, but hey I find this improves my diving skills cause then I know not to do it again or i'll get in trouble haha.
In all its very nice to have your gf/wife as a dive buddy. Builds your relationship and gives you more reasons to dive ;-)

Aloha,

Well my girlfriend does her first OW dives today, finishes up tomorrow, and we are going out fun diving Saturday. Of course I'm ecstatic that I finally have a girlfriend with good taste in weekend activities, but I'm curious to know how others' relationships have benefitted/suffered when the non-diving half becomes a diver.

Peace,
Greg

My wife is my dive buddy, and it is GREAT!!!

I think a lot depends on your relationship above water.... some couples probably shouldn't buddy with each other, but I think by and large it is a great thing.

Have fun!!!

My wife and I also dive together. Great thing about her is that she makes more money than I and loves to travel. Soooooo, we get lots of good trips but my side of the deal is the equipment. With a spouse as a buddy - you will NEVER be able to buy just one of anything.

Only problem that comes in is when one won't take input from the other. When stubborness and ego get involved, the buddy pair is weak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom