significant other taking up diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband got certed in 85, I waited until 86, and did it with a female friend. I didn't want to take classes with him, because he is a natural in all things water related. I am not. It made me rely on myself and learn without him as a crutch. That was huge. We are each other exclusive dive buddy, and I think that can be good and bad.

I don't think couples should discuss home problems prior to diving. We've never really had a fight before, during and after a dive. Each of us has done dumb things, i.e. getting separated 20 minutes into the dive, him with the camera, me too far ahead. It's something we know we should work on and do. We always debrief after every dive, but there's no yelling about anything that happened. Rational discussion is always better.

Otherwise, I feel lucky to have my best friend, husband of 27 years, father of my sons, and trusted dive buddy next to me.

It IS really important not to get into anything before a dive. Peter and I had a noisy, ugly fight about getting lost trying to find NoHoch one day. I was shaking with rage when we got to the site. He videotaped the 15 minutes or so of dive we did before I turned it. It wasn't pretty.

I have recently been put in an interesting situation which I think is very much related to this thread. I have been diving for about a year now and recently became a DM. My wife has shown some interest in diving throughout the time that I have been diving and as a result, my mother bought her the OW class for her birthday.

The interesting twist to this story is that I am the only insured DM working for the shop she certified through, which means that I have been there every step of the way. However, even though I am there, I have done my best to keep as far away from my wife during the course as possible, working with the other six students. I really want her to enjoy the course and not feel like I am hovering over her. I even went so far as to have this discussion with her before the course, because I wanted to make it clear to her that I wasn't being a dick, I was just trying to let her learn it on her own at her own pace.

But here is the other twist, the instructor, has taken every opportunity to pair me up with my wife for buddied skills (seven in the class). His logic is that we will be diving together most often, so I should be involved. She also had some trouble with her mask removal and replace skills, which I, as the DM, was required to take her aside and help her work on those skills. It was probably the hardest thing I have had to deal with as a DM, because she is comfortable balling her eyes out in front of me when she is frustrated or uncomfortable, where she would not do that for someone else. I suppose it was the best lesson in professional etiquette I could have taken, even if it was forced upon me.

Her open water dives start next week. I will be there for those too. I am very excited for her, as I remember what it was like to be in the open water for the first time. But at the same time I really want to stay on shore and let her have her own moment.

Sometimes, the world works in crazy ways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom