Signaling devices.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Have dove with a DIR diver and am diving with him again tomorrow. I like the way his rig looks and as I was planning on going to a BPW soon he's got me seriously considering fundies course. He took his from Bob Sherwood at Dutch Springs. I realize that I could ask this in the course should I take it but as I was assembling my gear for tomorrow dives the question came into my mind about signaling devices. Is a Dive Alert or Hammerhead uw device consistent with DIR philosophy? I always dive with the Alert and will put the Hammerhead on when working with students as a DM.I also always carry an SMB(DAN signal tube) and finger spool even if I do not have my primary reel. Just curious. Thanks

JimLap:
Have dove with a DIR diver and am diving with him again tomorrow. I like the way his rig looks and as I was planning on going to a BPW soon he's got me seriously considering fundies course. He took his from Bob Sherwood at Dutch Springs. I realize that I could ask this in the course should I take it but as I was assembling my gear for tomorrow dives the question came into my mind about signaling devices. Is a Dive Alert or Hammerhead uw device consistent with DIR philosophy? I always dive with the Alert and will put the Hammerhead on when working with students as a DM.I also always carry an SMB(DAN signal tube) and finger spool even if I do not have my primary reel. Just curious. Thanks

Hey Jim, are you going to the Halcyon Demo Days this weekend at Dutch?

Negative. heading down to Mt Storm today for the day. My buddy and I both have the day off and our females have stuff planned for Saturday and Sunday. :-( I actually have not been to Dutch yet but hope to make it there or even willow sometime this year.

In-line LP signaling devices are typically a no-go. A dive alert is sometimes carried clipped off in a wet/drysuit pocket.

Remember, DIR is more than equipment. The equipment is hogarthian, but the system is DIR. This makes it difficult to integrate DIR with non-DIR divers.

Take the class, you will not be dissapointed. You will learn tons, and get to meet some great people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom