Signal Device, no knife environment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CanadianDiverGirl:
Okay - I wouldn't suggest the carabiner as it could cause you entanglement issues (it's not called a suicide clip for nothing).

Go for a double ended bolt snap if that's where your heading.

Crystal,

Actually, any of the devices with a spring-loaded swinging gate are called "suicide clips" because of their tendency to grasp lines, nets, and other things under water, and then not want to let go.

A carabiner with a locking gate, in stainless steel, can be a useful item for certain jobs. In most cases, however, you are quite right. The bolt-snap or dog-leash style clip will work just fine! :crafty:

As for other parts of this discussion, a "Scuba Duck" is a neat signaller if you need one. It has a distinctive sound.

Also, a good set of EMT shears will work well, and are acceptable in "no knife" areas.

Cheers!

Why aren't you allowed to carry a knife in T&C and Rawlings? (where's Rawlings?)

I'd be too worried about blunting a knife by banging it on a tank; I prefer to use a rope tied in a noose for those buddies with wunderlust...

:wink:

Paul P:
Sorry to jump in so late.

Can someone please clarify why carabiners are a safety issue? as compared to bolt snaps?

I have read two posts above but cannot quite grasp it. Thanks in advance

Basically a carabiner can easily clip onto something and snap shut without you realising, whereas a bolt clip has to be physically opened before it can latch on.

Well there goes another bubble burst !!!

When I first got on the name...CelticRavenVa...brought forth images of a slim red haired lass river dancing her cute little derriere away.

Then, I met CR. and trust me.... HE AINT NO CUTE LITTLE RED HEAD !!

Plus I wont even go into the story of him and Dave in the tent at Rawlings....ohhhh noooo...not me.

Oh well...another of one my fantasies down the tube.

But, back on topic....CR...I tried the mini hammerhead with some success...but you ought to see if you can try one out first before plunking down the relative big bucks. Some like them...some dont.
Later dude...gotta dive again if I have time when I get back from Germany.

Rich (who by the way is not either a slim little red head with a cute derriere, but hulk of pure manliness !! oh yea...)

StueyinDeep:
Why aren't you allowed to carry a knife in T&C and Rawlings? (where's Rawlings?)
Lake Rawlings is a mud hole south of Petersburg Virginia. They don't allow knifes because of vandalization problems.

StueyinDeep:
I'd be too worried about blunting a knife by banging it on a tank
Use the other end. :wink:

StueyinDeep:
I prefer to use a rope tied in a noose for those buddies with wunderlust...
I prefer to you my voice on the surface to explain why I won't be diving with them anymore.

Rich sorry to burst your bubble on that one. Hope to see ya when you get home. I will have to make that venture down to NC and you can show me some of those wrecks I keep hearing about down there.

As for the actual signal device, I am really looking for something that doesn't use air. I have enough issues with my consumption rate still, I don't need a noise maker that continues to suck it down further. That mixed with the fact of my cobra doesn't like it when stuff sucks air out of my tank rapidly, it gets its times confused for the next min or so on remaining air time.

What about wearing some knuckle-dusters over your gloves and then just rapping your tank with them...

Think of all the other uses for them too!

Personally I find the hammerheads extremely annoying - likewise the LPI-quackers - and have had little success, the few times I've had to resort to it, with using knife on my tank in cold water due, I believe, to the thick hoods.

Personally I don't believe there's a need for a noise making device.

divebunnie:
Basically a carabiner can easily clip onto something and snap shut without you realising, whereas a bolt clip has to be physically opened before it can latch on.

Wow. I hate to think the kind of environments you guys dive in to even consider this a hazard.

I have one on my chest D-ring and all it hits is a couple too friendly fish.

Paul,
Something to keep in mind, many people on the board here are professional, commercial, wreck penetration, over head cave environment diving types.... While I am none of the above, some of the things they say and do actually make a little sense and have some logic to them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom