Signal Device, no knife environment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeisurePro

http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...6&cgrfnbr=976&parentCategory=974&sort=prsdesc

Divers Direct

http://www.diversdirect.com/scripts...Item=37699&Template=9990000001000999&Group=35

The LeisurePro one is a bit bulky. It also looks like a pipebomb, which has given me minor difficulties while travelling. The sound is related to how hard you shake it. It is a very dull sound. (I use this one)

The DiversDirect one looks like some I saw in the Bahamas. It is not as bulky. It has a very metallic sound.

Both are great when used in groups (like you are a tour guide and you want to point something out). When buddy diving, I only use mine if I stopped to take a picture or look at something and my buddy keeps swimming along.

Nothing replaces good buddy contact, but it is nice to have something to get your buddies attention if you need it.

Oh, almost forgot, sample the sound for your buddy when you get in the water. Some people will dismiss the sound when you are trying to get their attention.

They are annoying when diving off charters and everyone has them. They are going off from everywhere and you have no idea what to look at.

Boogie,
I would rather have one of the two dive partners that I really trust with me at all times. However my travel options are a bit more open and I am still meeting lots of the locals that are into diving. I am not a fan (read I agree) with everyone else that somene rolling around making tons of noise is really annoying, and I have no desire to be "that guy". In fact the only alarms that I have enabled are on my computer. I have one fast ascent rate warning enabled on my dive watch. (ok so sue me)

But I am finding many places where knives aren't an option because people can't be responsible with them, and they are banned... and if for some reason I need my buddies attention, that is enough to make noise I am gonna need his attention right that second, not in the amount of time for a visual check, or to swim up to him....

I don't usually "trust" people I have just met diving and go with all my equipment on when I am diving with someone new. Slate, lights, you name it, if I can fit it on there it goes. I am pretty good with sign language and getting better all the time. However many that I have seen don't even know the basics of how to comunicate how much air they even have. I practice my sign language in the evenings while watching tv during the commercials. :)

Yeah I am really that anal about some things. Diving/Rock Climbing/paintball/etc.... to name a few....

Boogie711:
Celtic - you don't need to be going around banging against your tank. Practice buddy skills and situational awareness... making noise underwater is non-directional, and more often than not an excuse for "same ocean, same day" diving. That's not buddy diving - it's solo diving with a partner. And you don't want to be doing that, do you?

Exactly.

DBailey:
Nothing replaces good buddy contact, but it is nice to have something to get your buddies attention if you need it.

Celtic, if you find info on the shakers, please post. I'd like to know.

I disagree with the people who say you don't need them.

If you have good buddy skills, you will hopefully not need such a signaling device with your regular buddy.

But what about someone you're paired up with (not your regular buddy) who keeps swimming away from you? What if you notice a problem with another diver whose buddy doesn't notice the problem?

The bottom line is that there are lots of 'what ifs' and potential situations where it would be nice to be able to signal and attract attention.

Good luck with your search and please post what you find.

michaelp68:
Celtic, if you find info on the shakers, please post. I'd like to know.

I disagree with the people who say you don't need them.

If you have good buddy skills, you will hopefully not need such a signaling device with your regular buddy.

But what about someone you're paired up with (not your regular buddy) who keeps swimming away from you? What if you notice a problem with another diver whose buddy doesn't notice the problem?

The bottom line is that there are lots of 'what ifs' and potential situations where it would be nice to be able to signal and attract attention.

Good luck with your search and please post what you find.

More and more, I'm discovering why the DIR guys say rule number one is rule number one, rather than rule number 2 or 3.

Boogie,
I am not DIR... What is rule number one? (I hope that isn't a stupid question)

CelticRavenVA:
Boogie,
I am not DIR... What is rule number one? (I hope that isn't a stupid question)
Rule 1: Do not dive with unsafe divers.
Option 1: Do not dive.

*Nods* Not a bad rule number 1.

a carribeaner makes a pretty good tank banger. You can also use it to attach stuff to your BC if you need to.

Leisurepro sells some pretty cheap ones (less than $10).

-Jeremy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom