Signal Device, no knife environment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Ok, I have now come across 2 situations where you are not allowed to carry a knife. (Turks and Cacios and Rawlings) Part of me wonders why I have the thing since both places I have been diving to date don't let ya carry one. Anyway, the main reason I got it was for a signal device to bang against the tank.

So I am at somewhat of a moral delema as to what to throw in the bag as a backup. I don't want something that uses air from my tank, and the whistle is kinda a pain, and while supposed to work underwater really doesn't.... The tank banger band thing is kinda a pain to since if I mount it to high or two low, I am fishing around in cold water gloves looking for it on my tank.

Most of the instructors in Turks and Cacios had shakers (A plastic tube that had metal caps on the end and a large ball bearing inside?)

However the only place I have found to get them is some place in the UK which doesn't ship to the US. Anyone know know where to get one that is pretty good?

I absolutely hate when D/Ms in the tropics bang against their tanks. It is so annoying that I want to choke them for it. Part of the beauty of the underwater world is the peace and quiet, and the sound of the bubbles.

Do a SB search on Shakers, or similar words. I seem to remember a thread a while back about home-made ones. Someone posted instructions.

But I agree with IB - use only for emergencies. The quite is among the best features down below!

Good Luck,
Scuba-sass :)

Did the search, problem is I would rather just order one instead of trying to find the tools to make one right now since with exception of my dive gear, it is all in boxes in my parents basement.

The search I did after looking though a dozen threads, I found 2 places for them, one dead link, and one that doesn't ship to the US.

IndigoBlue:
I absolutely hate when D/Ms in the tropics bang against their tanks. It is so annoying that I want to choke them for it. Part of the beauty of the underwater world is the peace and quiet, and the sound of the bubbles.
Agreed. I HATE that! I went on a dive trip to Belize with a guy who had all sorts of modern electronic thingies (including a GPS) strapped to him, and he'd beep every few minutes. After the third dive, we all cornered him on the boat and threatened to rip out is spleen if he carried that crap down on another dive with him for the rest of the week. He smiled sheepishly and agreed to our demands.

Ummm WTF did he use a GPS for?

SueMermaid:
Agreed. I HATE that! I went on a dive trip to Belize with a guy who had all sorts of modern electronic thingies (including a GPS) strapped to him, and he'd beep every few minutes. After the third dive, we all cornered him on the boat and threatened to rip out is spleen if he carried that crap down on another dive with him for the rest of the week. He smiled sheepishly and agreed to our demands.

Oh, and still hoping for someone out there that knows where to buy a nice shaker....

Dude, you don't need a shaker.

If you must make noise, take a 7" hunk of rebar down and tap (gently) with it. Or a bit of copper pipe. Home Depot has whatever you need. Maybe a better option is for you and your buddy to practice diving so you're glancing at each other every so many seconds. Use handsignals or your flashlights, during daylight dives also, to signal each other.

Its your money, if you want to buy a shaker, go for it. But you don't need one. There are better alternatives.

CelticRavenVA:
Ummm WTF did he use a GPS for?
:06: I dunno. He wanted to know where he was at all times, I spose.

Celtic - you don't need to be going around banging against your tank. Practice buddy skills and situational awareness... making noise underwater is non-directional, and more often than not an excuse for "same ocean, same day" diving. That's not buddy diving - it's solo diving with a partner. And you don't want to be doing that, do you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom