Signal Device, no knife environment.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CelticRavenVA:
Ok, I have now come across 2 situations where you are not allowed to carry a knife. (Turks and Cacios and Rawlings) Part of me wonders why I have the thing since both places I have been diving to date don't let ya carry one. Anyway, the main reason I got it was for a signal device to bang against the tank.

So I am at somewhat of a moral delema as to what to throw in the bag as a backup. I don't want something that uses air from my tank, and the whistle is kinda a pain, and while supposed to work underwater really doesn't.... The tank banger band thing is kinda a pain to since if I mount it to high or two low, I am fishing around in cold water gloves looking for it on my tank.

Most of the instructors in Turks and Cacios had shakers (A plastic tube that had metal caps on the end and a large ball bearing inside?)

However the only place I have found to get them is some place in the UK which doesn't ship to the US. Anyone know know where to get one that is pretty good?

Get a decent cable retractor and a large brass clip, attach retractor to D ring on your BC. Always in reach, leaves hands free. Advantage is that you also have an extra retractor, and an extra large brass clip.

I have seen DM's use a carribeaner and they do work. Pick one up at your local hardware for about $1. I have seen them around the rope area as well as the key cutting carousel.

Agree with a lot of you here.

I think if you are close to your buddy you shouldn't need shakers, bangers, clackers or buzzers. It can also cause confusion amongst other divers if someone is rattling away, just to attract their buddy.

I do agree that they are handy to have for emergencies, or if you are a guide and therefore may well need to attract attention. Even then, I would only use it as a last resort, that way, when I do use it, it has the required impact.

Whilst my shaker sits in my pocket each dive, I have yet to use the thing!

I too like the peace and quiet.

crpntr133:
I have seen DM's use a carribeaner and they do work. Pick one up at your local hardware for about $1. I have seen them around the rope area as well as the key cutting carousel.

Crpntr133 - I feel strongly that we need to discourage the use of carabiners in the dive community. It's not a DIR thing or a tech thing - its a basic safety thing. There's nothing a carabiner does any better than a bolt snap, except get itself entangled around line, weeds, anchors, etc.

With respect, I think a carabiner is a big time safety risk, with no discernable benefit. I don't like the idea of tank bangers at all, but if you insist on having something with you, then please don't use a carabiner.

Boogie711:
Crpntr133 - I feel strongly that we need to discourage the use of carabiners in the dive community. It's not a DIR thing or a tech thing - its a basic safety thing. There's nothing a carabiner does any better than a bolt snap, except get itself entangled around line, weeds, anchors, etc.
I gotta go with Boogie on this one. They didn't get the name "suicide clips" for no reason.

There are, however, lockable "beeners".
Given that most things that would be attached to the diver incorporate D-rings and other attaching devices that acommodate the boat snaps.

The Kracken:
There are, however, lockable "beeners".
Which are generally not found for a dollar at the hardware store...

I do agree Boogie!! I think that the DM kept it in a pocket as not to get caught. It wasn't attached to him or his epuipment in any way so he could drop it if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom