"Sidemounting With Benefits" - Lessons from a newbie Sidemount Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50cf / 2400psi = .0208 (tank at rated pressure)
.0208 x 2700psi = 56.16cf
My LP50 tanks can be bumped up 10% which is 2640psi so I routinely fill to 2700psi when cool.
Yeah that’s incorrect. At 2640 they’re ~48.7cuft, which Faber rounds to 50cuft. While they’re often overfilled towards 3000 and beyond, they’re less than 50cuft at 2640.

Yeah that’s incorrect. At 2640 they’re ~48.7cuft, which Faber rounds to 50cuft. While they’re often overfilled towards 3000 and beyond, they’re less than 50cuft at 2640.

Fair enough but what is your reference for that information?

Fair enough but what is your reference for that information?
There’s a few hundred threads on this on SB if you care to look around.

https://kaplanindustries.com/wp-con...-Faber-Steel-Cylinder-Specifications-2019.pdf

Faber LP-50 Cylinder, Grey

Calculating SCUBA Cylinder Capacity | Dive Gear Express® The third is the one to look at to go from “50” to 48.7.

My apologies to you for whomstever indicated otherwise. It is a bit of false advertising on the part of the manufacturer.

There’s a few hundred threads on this on SB if you care to look around.

https://kaplanindustries.com/wp-con...-Faber-Steel-Cylinder-Specifications-2019.pdf

Faber LP-50 Cylinder, Grey

Calculating SCUBA Cylinder Capacity | Dive Gear Express® The third is the one to look at to go from “50” to 48.7.

My apologies to you for whomstever indicated otherwise. It is a bit of false advertising on the part of the manufacturer.

These are fine but there is a disclaimer in the DGX article reference their published specifications/methods; good info for sure though. I agree there is some false advertising on behalf of manufacturers. I still believe the LP50 tanks are superior for the OP's use in his current diving for ease of use, trim and buoyancy characteristics, to what he is currently using. As far as who gave me the info, a very experienced instructor (rec, tec and commercial) who's opinion I will take before most folks here on SB and the errors in math would be mine.

These are fine but there is a disclaimer in the DGX article reference their published specifications/methods; good info for sure though. I agree there is some false advertising on behalf of manufacturers. I still believe the LP50 tanks are superior for the OP's use in his current diving for ease of use, trim and buoyancy characteristics, to what he is currently using. As far as who gave me the info, a very experienced instructor (rec, tec and commercial) who's opinion I will take before most folks here on SB and the errors in math would be mine.
Unfortunately, some (all?) of the gas compressibility math isn’t covered in any TDI/IANTD/SSI/Paditec tech instructor manuals that I know of domestically. It’s much more a problem with high helium mixes or once you push past 200ish bar.

Back
Top Bottom